Picked up Macbook by screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marty1990, Nov 30, 2011.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I didn't do this. My aunt came round and asked to have a look at her friends website. I said sure. She comes over and PICKS IT UP BY THE SCREEN. I tell her not to, she says I'm being silly, but eventually (after me saying you're not supposed to hold it there numerous times) held it by the body.

Would picking it up by the screen JUST THE ONCE have done anything? I'm very protective ahaha.

THANKS.

2. goMac macrumors 603

Possibly? I dunno. Does anything seem wrong?

I wouldn't let your aunt touch your laptop again.

3. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

well no, it seems fine. i'm using it as i write this. it was only for a couple of seconds. she'd only just got it off the table when i realised what she was doing.

was just a bit concerned. in the end i let her use my windows machine. she picked that up by the screen as well.

4. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I time will probably not damage it, don't be worried.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Ask her if she would pick her LCD TV up by squeezing the front panel and back panel with her hands.

6. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Tell her she can't use *any* of your machines if she's going to treat them like that. Plastic Macbook (and most windows laptop) hinges could be messed up by doing that.

Get her to read this thread. Picking up laptops by the screen is a really bad idea.. If you're not seeing any damage I'm sure it's fine, but seriously.. Why would she even do that?

7. kaydot macrumors regular

Dear Aunt,

This is why we can't have nice things. *start crying*

(For some reason, I've been wanting to use that phrase for weeks!)

8. tug macrumors 6502

she might have read your other post and was a bit concerned that it might burn her if she picked it up properly.
    :D:D:D:) :)

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Teach your auntie how to properly move around Lappys.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Somehow my iPhones autocorrect feature mad this post weird.

11. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I'm a high school teacher with a cart of 30 MacBooks. Unfortunately I see this all the time, but the good news is that it doesn't seem to mess anything up. The offending student mostly regrets the ridiculously long lecture I dish out afterward.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This bothers me, so does she know you are not supposed to clean your gas tank out with water?

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It astounds me how mentally deficient many people are. It scares me. Your aunt seems no more intelligent than a 2 year old. Who could think that's a safe way of lifting a laptop - before, during, or after doing so? Yet, she thought it was okay that entire time. You are not very smart, either, for letting her use your Windows laptop like that after her first display of mental deficiency.