Picked up my rMBP! And a question ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rsarno, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rsarno macrumors member

So i was tossed between the MBA and the rMBP, as well as 13" vs 15"

However, my boss gave me the nod that I can expense it, so fully upgraded 15" rMBP it is :)

I have 2 monitors on my desk with VGA/DVI inputs. What is the most efficient way to connect these so I can run a monitor on each side of my laptop, and also utilize the laptop screen? So drag-right and it would drop to my right monitor, drag-left would go to that one.

I think I have 2 thunderbolt ports, and presume I can just buy 2 adapters? or will that not function as i want? Should i look for a single thunderbolt plug with a 2-monitor splitter built in?

Thanks! Loving the machine so far.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will do exactly what you want. Just get two of this adaptor.

Here is a good overview of how multiple monitors work with Mavericks (which you should update to if you have not already).

3. iWeekend macrumors regular

4. rsarno thread starter macrumors member

HDMI would be my choice, but the monitors i was supplied with only have VGA or DVI. For my purposes (view spreadsheets, emails, etc) either should be fine.

----------

Thank you!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use HDMI, but it is limited to 1080 vertical resolution. If you have the DVI option, it is the better way to go.

6. gus6464 macrumors regular

According to specs the HDMI supports up to a 4K monitor.

Also OP don't spend $25 on thunderbolt to DVI cables. Buy from here:
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024604&p_id=5998&seq=1&format=2

I use one for my mac mini and it works great. I have the DVI and HDMI converter cables from monoprice and they are great.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I realize the generic HDMI spec supports 4K, what I am saying is that for whatever reason Macbook HDMI out only supports 1080p. There are quite a few forums posts from owners confirming this. Do you have a link to more recent specs from Apple showing 4K output over HDMI?

8. gus6464 macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

And http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6008

9. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

I've got a 1920x1200 working on HDMI at this very moment, so it is possible to go over 1080p. Maybe your cable cannot support over 1080p though.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the info. I recall this is what I found last time the issue came up, and I was forgetting the refresh rate (60Hz) part of the equation. Like I said, HDMI is a problem with a Macbook at higher than 1080p on a computer monitor. I should have added "on a computer monitor" for accuracy, but that was the OP's question.

For example, look at this Dell U2713 monitor, the native res. is 2560 x 1440 at 60 Hz and the Retina will not support that over HDMI. Another example is this Asus monitor that runs 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz and it won't work at native resolution on the Retina over HDMI.

Most computer monitors I have seen run at 60Hz or higher (I believe they all do). Those higher resolution outputs over HDMI listed ay 30Hz and 24Hz are intended for output to a television.

If you search the forums you will find quite a few posts with users trying to run higher than 1080p over HDMI and having problems. I suspect ElderBrE's 1200 vertical res. monitor is running below the native setting.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

I have 2 of these coming in today to run my 13" retina on 2 DVI monitors , ill let you know how it goes.

The ends look pretty big but should be no problem side by side.