Carrier Picked up new iPhone 8 from Best Buy...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, May 9, 2018.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I remember hearing recently that Verizon started to lock their iPhones, in the past if you purchased an iPhone from Best Buy but put Verizon Sim into it first it would keep the device unlocked. I have an old Verizon Sim at home,If I put this into the iPhone will lock it to Verizon or will it become unlocked so I can stick my AT&T Sim in afterward?

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

As I recall Verizon would keep the phones locked until they are activated at which point they would be come unlocked, but then even that was also supposed to change at some point, although I haven't heard if it did or not. That's going by Verizon No Longer Plans to Sell Unlocked iPhones.

3. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

According to Verizon unlocking terms still explicitly stated it doesn’t lock 4G LTE devices. However, recent news said they will no longer sell unlocked iPhone.

I do want to warn you that Best Buy iPhone are complicated to unlock due to these aren’t owned by carriers. Thus, carriers can only unlock their respective owned/purchased iPhone from Apple.

4. est1738 macrumors regular

I do this with every phone I buy from bestbuy. Even my new 8plus I bought a week ago. I took my old unactivated verizon sim and put it in my phone. Hooked it up to iTunes. Waited a minute or two and the message popped up that my phone is now unlocked. Then proceeded to update/restore and put my att sim in it. Just to make sure I put my brothers T-Mobile sim today to make sure it was unlocked and it was. I don’t think the policy has to do with phones sold at third party retailers. From my reading it was Verizon stores themselves that were locking phones until they activated them which then made them unlocked.