Picked up the $1499 13" rMBP (Video Editing)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Larrabee213, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Larrabee213 macrumors regular

Picked up the $1499 model of the rMBP a few hours ago.

Been installing things and running some tests. I am a little disappointed.

It was my hope that this laptop could be the perfect middle ground of the 2013 13" MBA I have and my video editing laptop (lenovo y410p).

Sadly, it is maybe 10-15% faster at encoding video from Adobe Premiere. I don't know if it is because I changed the resolution on the laptop, as the "Best" setting is was too low resolution.

2. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

I'm planing to buy this same model as soon as it becomes available in my local store. did you see any improvement by using the native resolution?

3. flux73 macrumors 65816

Specs of your three laptops?

4. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Mind going to TheVerge.com and Polygon.com and reporting back on how those sites perform with fast scrolling? Is it even choppy in the slightest bit? THANK YOU!

5. Larrabee213 thread starter macrumors regular

No improvement on native resolution. Looks like I will either need to go to the 15" at $1999 or stick with the current setup.

6. theKitch macrumors member

theverge.com is a BEAST of a site. I just picked up the base 15" and verge is less than perfectly smooth when running the retina display at "1920x1200", polygon scrolls like butter.

I'm curious if it's the ridiculous Surface ad in the middle of theverge that is killing things.

7. Larrabee213 thread starter macrumors regular

Any impressions on how it handles video editing? Heat when doing a bunch of stuff?

8. theKitch macrumors member

Fantastic for video editing and photo editing. Granted I'm coming from an ancient machine. I'm doing heavy work in Lightroom/Pixelmator/Photoshop and a little work in iMovie.

Real time work causes no heat up of the system whatsoever. Exporting photos and videos cranks up the cores and the bottom of the system does start to generate a bit of heat. Much cooler that my old C2D MBP.

My productivity workload is:
    - IBM Notes
    - LOTS of Safari tabs
    - Lots of terminal
    - Win8 VM in VirtualBox
    - Remote Desktop client

And the system really isn't breaking a sweat for that.

I'm impressed.