Picking a Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frozenflourish, Jul 17, 2010.

1. frozenflourish macrumors member

Hi!
    I am going to be getting a new macbook pro for college. I already have a macbook (white) that I really like, so i'm excited to upgrade.
    Two questions.
    I am happy right now with my 13 inch, however, I am looking at getting a 15 inch to upgrade for the macbook pro for grad school.
    which screen is better? the 15 or the 13?
    also, which screen is better -the matte or high res? I get headaches pretty easily - does anyone have any personal experience for this? i mean i'm not a graphic artist. but i do want the best screen possible as i plan on spending a lot of time behind it.
    also - i am torn between getting a 15 inch pro 2.4 with the i5 or a 13 inch pro with the duo core. right now mine is a 2 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 2 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. i would like it to be at least as fast if not faster / better than my current model.

i know very little about computers - and i know i got a steal on my first macbook. so i want whatever i get for this model to be faster than my first one.

thank you!!!!!!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I used a MacBook Air with a glossy screen for over a year in addition to my MacBook Pro with a matte screen. I found that matte was easier on my eyes than glossy and I had a preference for it. Of the choices, I'd go for a high resolution anti-glare screen and the i5 over the Core 2 Duo 13" MacBook Pro. You'll see a much bigger improvement in speed and it should last you longer. If you can afford it, also get a SSD.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

The high res screen will especially benefit you if you plan on doing the majority of your work indoors. The matte is easier on the eyes when you're outside.

Put another coin in the coffer for the 15" i5, it's a great computer and will serve you well throughout college.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

A matte display is easier on your eyes regardless of being inside or outside.

5. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If you're near an apple store play around with both of them. I love the look of both but went with AG because my TV has a glass screen infront of it and I hate the way it catches reflections so I knew I wouldnt want that in a laptop.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-
    As an owner of a 13" and being able to use mine for school & home for over a year now, I would strongly reccomend the 15." Not only is it more powerful, but you also get a better graphics card, and most importantly, more screen real estate. I really regret not getting a 15".
    Also, the 15" is at least kind of more futureproof for the time being. The Core 2 Duo series of processors that is used in the 13" has been out for quite a bit now.
    Also, if you really need it, there is also the high-res model of the 15, or even antiglare if you like that (I wish I had it on my 13" Pro) All in all, I strongly reccomend the 15" over the 13". In my opionion, the 15" is just an all around great notebook. It works great for school, and when you get home, it's also a high-performace machine for gaming or whatever you want to do.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Vice-versa of that, right? And I agree with your thoughts. The Core 2 Duo is rather old nowadays.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have had both the 13 and the 15...e 13 was great for portability but horrible for multitasking. I think it just depends on your needs. For me, I used the 13 for the majority of my school work unless I had to take notes and watch webcasted lectures at the same time. Now that in finished didactic courses, I sold off the 13 and the 15 is perfect for me now.

Edit: antiglare is a must...the glossy was just too much for me.

9. Works4Me macrumors regular

I just upgraded from a 13" 2.4 MacBook Aluminum to a 15" i7 matte hi-res. I cannot say enough how much I appreciate having a matte screen again, as well as the extra pixels. If you can afford it, get the fifteen.

Yes, I lost a bit of portability, but what I gained in usability more than makes up for it! That, and having more graphics horsepower than I used to have is also helpful, since I use this machine with a 30" display!

10. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Oh dear! Thank you for catching that! Typing Mistake! :p (Fixed in edit)

And yes, I think the Core 2 Duo is quite outdated, especially considering that the first MacBooks to use the processor by that name were the MacBook Pros that were introduced October 24, 2006 (according to everymac.com) almost a whopping four years ago. I do realize that cache size and everything has improved, but considering the amount of time Core 2 Duo has been out compared to other processors, it's had quite a long run!

All in all, I think the 15" is a safer bet when it comes to betting on which model will be outdated first. :cool:

11. frozenflourish thread starter macrumors member

you guys are awesome! thank you so much for the advice!!!!!!!!!!

12. frozenflourish thread starter macrumors member

so the 2.4 will definetly be a faster processor than what i have now? with the i5?

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, the i5 will be noticeably faster.

14. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Yes, dramatically faster, I upgraded from a 2,2 C2D MacBook and you can really feel the difference...