Picking a new iMac - thanks for the help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 5wallace, Jan 7, 2015.

1. 5wallace macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new iMac and am on a fairly strict budget. My question is fairly straightforward I believe.

Here are my requirements and uses:

- 27 inch iMac (non-retina)
    - computer used mainly for normal every day tasks (email, word processing, iTunes, managing large iPhoto library, some photo editing, some light gaming)

My question is whether I am better off getting the $1,799 iMac and upgrading to the 1TB fusion drive, or getting the $1,999 version and leaving it stock? So, basically, is the fusion drive or the processor and video card upgrade worth the extra $200?

Also, I plan to go to 16 GB of ram from crucial.com. Is it worthwhile to go up to 32 GB for my use case?

Thank you for your help.

Jake

2. AirCanada22, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

AirCanada22 macrumors newbie

I think for your purposes you'll see the biggest performance boost from the Fusion drive. Apple's pricing is maddeningly frustrating, because I don't think it makes much sense to be selling non-Fusion/SSD drives in computers in 2015, but none of their base options for the non-Retina 27-iMacs offer it as standard. Which pretty much locks you into spending another $200 on top of their base prices, especially if you want to sell it down the line.

All of this makes the Retina iMac way more attractive to me, but the $1,999 27-inch with Fusion or SSD will suit your needs just fine I imagine.

edit: it's 2015!!

3. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Always check Apple's Refurb store for 27" iMacs, you can get a practically brand new 3.4 i5 with Fusion for 1,899 or so.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I agree; it's important to remember Fusion or flash only is included in ALL retinas, it's an option for $200 in others, but an option that isn't really one since it's silliness to invest all that money in a computer without a flash boot drive. Maybe if you had some very specialized use, like as a server, but still. Better resale too.

So a base retina then becomes only $300 more than that higher end non retina you're looking at.

But if you can't go that high, definitely the flash/Fusion over the graphics card. Makes more of an impact by far.

5. 5wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for the input so far. I am definitely leaning towards either a refurb or a low end Retina now. Both seem like good options.

Thanks again.

Jake

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree with the other posters so far and say that an ssd is the only worthwhile upgrade. for you.
    Any gpu or RAM upgrade would be a ridicolous waste of $$$.