Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I haven't read through everything, but going to chime in quick after looking at the two bundles you linked to:

Neither of them have VR on the 55-200, which in my opinion is where it's probably more important. I bought the D40 kit with 18-55kit and 55-200VR back in December from BH for $509 I believe.

The other stuff kinda looks nice, but you could possibly be better off waiting for a nice D40 and kit lens deal, and then adding all the other stuff a la carte later as you need it. I bought a book on Amazon how to use it (D40 Field Guide I believe, probably better than the Nikon one?) for pretty cheap ($13 now).. with the D40 kit and that book that should be plenty to get your feet wet for a while and then you can start spending money where you think you need it (flash, zoom lens, prime lens, etc). I made the mistake of buying everything under the sun to play with it, but didn't use 90% of it. I never used my 10-20mm lens or my 55-200VR lens, so I sold both of them.

I eventually got a D90 because I was convinced I could take much better pictures being able to autofocus with my 50mm prime, but really it didn't do much at all. The lighter weight and smaller size of the D40 really is a pretty big bonus, especially after carrying the D90 around for a while. Most non-pro lenses you'll use autofocus on the D40 these days, and the third-party lens manufacturers are supporting this as well.

My advice, honestly, is to buy everything used. You'll get a MUCH better deal and then if you don't use something you can sell it back for roughly what you paid for. The Fred Miranda forums (fredmiranda.com) is where I buy all my stuff, and I'm sure you can find a low-used D40 and kit lens in there with a little patience. Obviously it's up to you, since you don't have warranty coverage, but everything I own now was bought used and I've had 0 problems. The forum incorporates feedback so you can be sure you're buying from someone with a good reputation.

Otherwise, even if you start out small, go as bare as you can (D40 and kit lens), and then work your way up. My advice would be to add on the Sb-600 flash and the 35mm 1.8 lens. In the end, what I've found and what many will tell you, is you're the key factor in how your pictures turn out, not how much gear you own.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
VR only helps for still shots. It won't help you freeze action, and that's a common misconception about it. If you're moving around and panning for something in a sports setting, VR won't help you a bit (part of why I think it's massively overrated in general).

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
VR only helps for still shots. It won't help you freeze action, and that's a common misconception about it. If you're moving around and panning for something in a sports setting, VR won't help you a bit (part of why I think it's massively overrated in general).
Some VR/IS lenses have panning modes that will stabilize in the correct direction to make panning easier.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Those "legacy" Nikons are in many cases the most current lenses for a given focal length (i.e. the 85mm 1.4/1.8).

Mostly in terms of older primes that most first-time shooters aren't going to buy and in the majority of cases which cost significantly more than a D40. Nikonians lists about 91 D40-compatible lenses- 1 Tokina, 9 Tamerons, about 40 Sigmas, and ~41 Nikkors. The D40/60/5000 series cameras are all available with one or two kit lenses. The average DSLR owner owns 1.4-1.6 lenses- Between almost 100 AF-compatible lenses and the kit lenses, it's rare that anyone getting a D40 won't be able to find a focal length they'd like.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=13319

As far as "many" goes, the cases where Nikon doesn't have an AF-S lens and Sigma doesn't have an HSM lens are pretty rare- here are the currently offered AF-D lenses and their AF-S/HSM/Whatever alternatives:

• 18-35mm (Nikon and Sigma both offer a 17-35mm plus others that cover the range more widely.)
  • 24-85mm (both Nikon and Sigma offer a 24-70, as well as other lenses which cover the range more widely.)
  • 80-200mm (Nikon, Sigma and Tamron all offer a 70-200, an Sigma also offers an 80-200 and a lot of other n-200's.)
  • 80-400mm (Sigma offers one though.)
  • 200mm Micro (Sigma offers a 180mm macro, Nikon a 200mm non-macro.)
  • 10.5mm Fisheye (Sigma offers 4.5 and 10mm)
  • 16mm Fisheye
  • 14mm prime (Sigma offers one, and the Nikkor is a $1700 lens that is said to not do well on digital.)
  • 20mm prime (lots of zoom options, no prime options for this FL.)
  • 24mm prime (lots of zoom options, no prime for this FL.)
  • 28mm prime (Sigma offers a 30mm prime.)
  • 85mm (Tamron 90mm or zoom.)
  • 135mm (Sigma offers a 150mm, zooms abound.)
  • 180mm (Sigma offers one.)

So, that's a grand total of 4 primes and two fisheyes that don't have exact equivalents that will AF with the non-body AF Nikon cameras. Obviously, they'll all manually focus, and I'd be surprised if we also didn't see at least the 85mm go AF-S in the next few months.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/index.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.