Picking an SSD for 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonnyr78, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jonnyr78 macrumors member

Hi,

I'd like to get an SSD for my new Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure which to get between the Crucial C300 256gb or the OCZ Vertext 2e 240gig. As far as I have read, because OSX doesn't have TRIM support I should go for the OCZ, but with Lion apparently coming with TRIM support is that right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

vertex 2e

and for the love of god USE SEARCH!

3. jonnyr78 thread starter macrumors member

I did! And, I couldn't find any posts that directly referenced the point about Lion, and whether there was a significant difference.

4. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

The OWC ssd's are very good performers too, and also use the sandforce controller so they have their own version of wear leveling built in.

5. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Get a Sandforce-based SSD (OCZ Vertex 2 is one, Corsair Force series is another, OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, the list goes on). I'd personally recommend the OWC driver because you won't get better support anywhere and they're a Mac-only company.

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Just keep in mind though, that some ssd's with sandforce controllers have trouble with Hibernate. If you never hibernate your mac or drain the battery low enough to autohibernate, then you'll be fine with the sandforce.

7. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

What's the difference between the stock ssd and these other ones being thrown around? Upgrading to the ssd 128GB costs $90 (I'm a student). I haven't seen one on any site for less than $200.

8. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I just got a 120GB OWC Mercury SSD and its amazing. I used the data doubler and took out my optical drive. I can't speak for any others but this one is blazing fast and I haven't noticed the hibernation problem, but then again I never use the hibernate function.

9. moosaur macrumors newbie

I see it as $225, where do you see it as $90?

10. Kauai macrumors 6502a

It depends on what model you're looking at. It's 90 in the high end 15".

11. mashsensor macrumors member

Im considering a SSD also, but at this point I am thinking of waiting until Lion for TRIM support and hopefully by then the price of 250gb SSDs have fallen a nice %.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'm lookin at the same thing! :]

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wow, this is the exact same boat I'm in. I think we'd be better off waiting for Lion. You've hit the two points that justify this wait (for me): TRIM support and a price drop.

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I've been waiting for SSD prices to fall, and it just isn't happening very much. I thought the Apple deal on their stock 128GB was good for $90 so I did it. Wish someone would post the performance of this model as I've been looking all over for it. Had inconclusive evidence from one thread where they said 230 read and like 190 write or similar. Can't remember exactly. But those might be the Macbook Air numbers which are a blade SSD and likely different. Hopefully Apple is using faster SSD in this year's model as they changed several other things like the SuperDrive parts. But even at say 200 read that's way faster than stock 5400RPM.

Now tonight I'm trying to decide on using OWC's data doubler. If I get it, I can't decide between the 7200rpm 750GB or the 5400rpm 750GB. Not sure if one will be much hotter than the other or use more power.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> Wait a week. CEBIT is March 1-5 and there will be Sandforce SF-2000 based drives released by manufacturers there. These will be SATA III drives and about twice as fast as ant SSD now available. There are some tests of a pre-release OCZ Vertex 3 out already.

Here is one such test.

16. 8000rpm macrumors regular

Interesting. So id say im better off ordering a std drive and waiting for these ssds to come out? how good are the oem ssds apple sells?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The MacBook AIR SSD drives were slower than aftermarket. I have not seen any posts here yet from owners showing what brand/type SSD is shipping in the 2011 MBPs. I think that is because SSD is a BTO and nobody has one in their hands yet.