Picking Apps for the Apple watch before I receive it. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jsmil009, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jsmil009 macrumors regular

I read that the Dark Sky weather app will be available on launch day and will be downloading it among my first ones. I live in Florida so knowing when it is going to rain is very useful, even more so with my watch notifying me. Anyone else heard of apps that they will be downloading?

2. supersalo, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Fresh Air (real-time air quality): http://fresh-air-app.com

(It works both with and without an Apple Watch, so you can use it on your iPhone while you're waiting for your Apple Watch to be delivered :)

(full disclosure: my company created this app)

3. GReeeeN macrumors newbie

looks great!, just purchased it

EDIT: uhh, it doesn't work outside the US?, I'm from Australia and its not finding my location..

4. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Thanks so much!

5. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Hold off on Apps for a least a day so you can get a sense of battery life. I suspect some Apps are going to be real battery killers, not too mention really buggy.

6. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

I can't wait to try out the different running apps

My Garmin 305 will seem archaic

[​IMG]

7. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Apps aren't going to be battery killers because the actual app is running on the iPhone (the watch app just displays data).

When the second version of the SDK comes out (probably this summer) and you have an actual Watch-native app, then I'd worry about battery life.

8. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I bet a lot of Apps will query and update more than one would like and that will drain battery. Tons of notifications, even without a vibrate associated with it, might run the battery down.

9. kovey macrumors 6502a

lol, that thing looks like something old people buy at CVS to monitor their glucose. You seriously wear that thing on your wrist?

10. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Not to be a jerk, but that's not how Watch apps operate. If you're wary of loading apps on the first day, that's fine. But don't spread FUD about things that simply aren't true.

11. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

My tried and true GPS watch :cool:

12. plwebb macrumors newbie

plwebb

I live in southern Oregon and we often have wildfires in the area in the summer so I got this app. Thanks for the heads up.

13. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

You're welcome!

14. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

As another Floridian subject to unreliable Florida rainstorms, I second Dark Sky... the only thing I hate about it is that I sometimes don't notice the notification on my phone if its in a bag... won't have to worry about that with the watch app!

15. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Hmm, okay. I might be wrong. Do the watch apps have no ability to run in the background after launch by the user? How do they get notifications? Just by having the notification pushed from the iPhone App?

If they shut down completely after they are dismissed and if the phone just pushes the notification to the watch then, I guess they won't drain the battery much.

I do think though that we will see some pretty bad apps that are hard to use and which take too long to use. If you are using the app for too long on your watch you will drain the battery. I bet there are going to be some missteps here.