picking the iphone 7 over the iphone 7 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coachbrady79, Sep 19, 2016.

1. coachbrady79 macrumors member

For those of you who picked the iphone 7 over the iphone 7 plus, why did you make that decision???

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

It's tough. Really it's does size and portability trump better camera, higher res screen, a bigger screen, better battery life and more RAM. For some people it's yes, for others it's no.

3. davidgolfer macrumors regular

I had the 6 for two years, went with the plus this time. I'm loving it.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The Plus variant has more premium features than the 4.7 iPhone, but it really comes down to what is more comfortable in size.

5. coachbrady79 thread starter macrumors member

i struggle with which one to get i value both!

6. LaCosta macrumors member

Portability size. Feels right.
    Weight...don't want the additional weight of the larger phone.
    If I need a larger pallet, I pull out the iPad or use my 25" iMac.

7. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

After using a 6 Plus and a 6S Plus, I went with a 7 this year. I love the size. Smaller screen took me about half a day to get used to but I can finally use the phone with one hand. :D

8. SHKLMRE macrumors regular

I have and actively use both a 6S and a 7+

Although I wouldn't give up the features of the 7+ and more in particular the better battery life, I actively enjoy the smaller size of the 6S. It's much more pocketable and easier to handle. However if I had to use one, it would definitely be the plus

9. pish6969 macrumors regular

Simple. Portability. I can't tell the difference in screen resolution so not concerned about that. The camera I can care less. I'm not a professional photographer. I don't take many pics and the ones I take all look crappy. Battery life isn't a concern as I work in an office always have an outlet if I need one, and I drive a car if I need a charge on the way home. Honestly if Verizon didn't have the $650 promotion I would have kept my 6. Sure this phone is lightning quick, but It's not like the 6 was slow. To me I got a brand new phone for $4 per month. Easy choice. It's not like I couldn't afford the extra $5 monthly for the plus. To me it comes down to whether your prefer a larger or smaller phone.

10. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

I absolutely hate the size of my Plus. after using the 6s Plus, i really wanted to go to a 7, but.. camera. but I also still use my SE.

11. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Size. If I didn't have an ipad I would consider the plus, but damn those things look crazy big when held up to your face.

12. pish6969 macrumors regular

My wife has the 7+. I can't tell the difference between her pics and mine. I truly believe people getting the plus for "the camera" are fooling themselves. If you like the big phone that's great, but please don't think the camera is such a big difference. If I did a ton of video watching on the phone then I'd get the plus but I don't. I watch movies and such on my TV

13. vintagebob macrumors member

vintagebob

LOL. I went the other way. iPhone 6+ to iPhone 7.

I got tired of all the compromises with the big phone. Get in the car, take it out of your jeans pocket first. Wearing my motorcycle gear, where does that big beast go?, etc.

I have a Canon G7X mark II camera to carry the camera load.

If you watch a lot of video or play games on your phone, then the Plus makes sense.

14. swandy macrumors regular

If I did not have the iPad mini 4 to do most of my reading and watching I would have tried the plus. My wife has the 6+ and if I always carried my phone in a purse (or in my case a "Murse") I would have gotten the larger one. But the idea of that in my pocket......

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I had the 6+ for 2 years and I hated it. Too big

16. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

the thing about the camera, for me (and I said I would get it anyway if they went this route with their dual-camera system before they even revealed it), was that it came with a second focal length - that standard field of view. if I could do that more quickly with my phone in-hand for more casual shooting than having to pull out my mirrorless camera with either my 28mm or 50mm every time (which I almost always have with me), then the better.

17. gregrichards, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

gregrichards macrumors member

I went from the 6S+ to the Matt black 7 128gb yesterday. I really like the 7 the screen is great as is the camera, it's also very smooth and fast. I could afford the 128gb IPhone 7 Plus but it's £818 sim free here in the U.K which is a lot of money for a phone. I think iPhone 8 is going to be a a significant upgrade so I may go back to the Plus if I prefer it's size again. I mostly use my iPad for web browsing and watching videos. I mostly use my iPhone for listening to music both with headphones and via Bluetooth in the car.

18. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The 7 is the right size for me.

I just spent a year with the 6S+ and the regular 7 just feels so much better in my hand.

Nothing to do with money, the regular 7 just feels right to me.

19. DSTOFEL, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

#1 reason is pocketability. Had the 6+ for 2 yrs and loved the display size wile actually using it for anything other than calls and texts (i.e. much prefer smaller phone for those things)...but I found carrying it around on a day-to-day basis to be a bit cumbersome. I'm loving having a smaller phone.

If Apple reduces the exterior dimensions of the Plus in the next incarnation, I'll consider going back to the plus. I'm betting 2017 is the year for this.

20. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Size/pocketability for me too. Wasn't especially impressed with the dual camera setup -- at least not enough to justify getting the 7+.

Would have remained with a plus had the bump in battery life in the 7 been minimal. But a +2 hour average on the 7 is actually pretty significant and made my decision easier.

21. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I would say this describes me as well.

The longest time I've had an iPhone for was the 6; which was approximately 1.5 years. I then bought an iPhone 6s Plus which I had for about 6 months before moving to the iPhone 7.

While the plus is nice, the smaller size is better for me as it's much more portable. Before getting the 6s Plus I always thought I would never own a phablet, but I did. Never say never I guess.