Picking up a QuickSilver tomorrow! (Dual 1GHz, Almost Every Option)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Jul 27, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

In my neck of the woods I have never bought a Mac local, but last month that changed when I bought my PowerBook G4. And yesterday I found another sweet deal! This kid posted it in a local buy/sell group on FB, my aunt screenshotted it on her phone then sent it to me. Was in contact with the guy who asked if I could do $55 since some other guy was interested for $50. That deal fell through and we agreed on $25.

Looks like it might be a QS2002, dual 1GHz model according to what I found by looking at images of heatsinks on google. Pick it up tomorrow, I'm excited! I'll get to have a PMG4 from the Digital Audio, to this QuickSilver, to my MDD.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have fun! It's only my opinion, but to me the Quicksilvers are the best damn looking G4s of the lot. And that HK speaker is fantastic!

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'll have lots! Load it into my truck with pride :D

I really like the MDD design, but after learning a bit more about the QuickSilver, it was a machine on my list of wants! That and my 22" ACD would match better up with the QS than the Graphite/MDD!

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Picked it up this morning, and it has some cool stuff!

It is a dual 1GHz like I had found out, 1GB Ram (from Apple), 2x80GB HDDs (from Apple), DVD-R/CD-RW drive (Superdrive), Geforce 4MX (64MB card I think), UWSC CRD (SCSI 50-pin), Modem, AirPort Card, Gigabit, Mac OS X

So it seems the only option it didn't have was the ZIP drive! The ram is 2x512MB Microns with a third stick I have yet to find out. Didn't know a SCSI card was available! Still has the stickers over the SuperDrive, pretty neat!

Attached Files:

5. sarthak macrumors 6502

I have the same one. It's a great machine.

Though mine definitely does not say SuperDrive on the front.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Very nice!

I don't(yet) have an MDD, but I think that the QS is something of a high mark in the G4 series both in terms of design and useability.

I've probably been using my QS more than my G5 lately, especially after upgrading it to dual 1ghz.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When my QS was up it was a great machine. Right now, I'm just waiting to drop in a new ATX supply and a new AGP video card (the current one I bought seems to have been refurb crap).

Should be in about a month or so. I LOVE the QS because of the looks and I'm willing to suck up the 512mb hit because of that. However, this case! My God, if you add anything additional or non-standard the heat is just tremendous. Apple's thermal design took a real hit over the aesthetics.

8. apple apple macrumors member

Congrats! Love the qs. I had one some years ago as my first mac. I upgraded the dvd and did an ecu upgrade to sonnet to dual 1.6. Some say the lack of useable l3 makes it perform like a slower ghz dual... i say hog wash. my baby flew!

Wife n I both miss it and regret selling it.

9. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

One other reason I'm glad I have the QS, completes the collection (besides the cube). When you have fun using a Canon T4i, this happens.

Attached Files:

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry Gavin, but the two Macs on the right and left sides of the QS are spoiling the shot!!! :D

11. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Figured! I do have a 17" PB and a QuickSilver.... ideas ideas...

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Now THAT, would be an EXCELLENT picture there my friend! :D

13. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I was thinking the same!

Aww, just now noticed I had the cursor over an app in the dock. Owell. Next time :)

Attached Files:

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Still nice! Two of the Macs that got me into Apple! Awesome!

15. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Much newer than my stuff, I started with a 400MHz B&W and a 700MHz iBook G3!

And... I had to get yet another picture, this T4i is just too awesome!

Attached Files:

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I really do enjoy seeing how big of a heatsink these machines required.

17. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I got a 400 B&W G3 on the floor beside me :apple: the 9GB drive is useless these days

18. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Nonsense, I run an FTP server from a Power Mac 8600 with nothing but a 4GB SCSI drive :)

19. ClamshellOfDoom macrumors member

Aside from the graphite iBook, the Quicksilvers are the best (or among the best) machines Apple made, and the stock dual 1Ghz are the sweetest among them. However, as others have stated, watch out for the noise. I ended up installing quieter fans to replace the stock fans and taking off the finger guard on the PSU fan (I upgraded the CPU too so that didn't help any). :)

20. weckart macrumors 68040

I removed the fingerguard on mine as it was slightly offset but it seemed to make no difference to noise level. What other fans did you use?

21. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Nice deal! I am sharing your excitement on this one, as I am planning to pick up my quad-core G5 on Sunday. :) What do you plan on using this Quicksilver for? Currently, between my MDD and Quicksilver, my MDD is the better of the two. My Quicksilver is in its original packaging, but it's an 867Mhz model; my MDD is a dual 1.25Ghz model and actually doesn't seem to create anymore noise than its predecessor.

----------

Hmm... I guess I ought to take a picture then. I have the G3 beige desktop and mini tower, PowerMac G3 B&W, PowerMac G4, PowerMac G4 Cube, Quicksilver, MDD, and G5. That would make for a pretty cool photo! (but... I'll probably leave out those original G3s. Sorry, no beige. ;)

22. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The QuickSilver is more of a display piece in my room which I rarely use. My only machine that sees a lot of usage is my 2.3 G5! For the period of time I had both my Dual 1GHz MDD and the QS, QS blew it out of the water. Even with 512MB less ram the QS had a major speed increase. Yay for 2MB L3 in the QS vs. the 1MB in the MDD!

I should have taken a photo of my collection, every model from B&W to G5 but I didn't have a cube. 450MHz G4 B&W (yes a G4), 466MHz Digital Audio, (missing cube here), Dual 1GHz QS, Dual 1GHz MDD, 2.7GHz G5.