Picking up iPhone in the store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 12, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I bought an iPhone 5S at the Apple online store, and chose to pick it up at the local store.

When I got there, they asked me for my ID, so I gave it to them. Then they entered my driver's license number and my birthday into their system. Why do they need that information? I wouldn't have had to give them that if I had them ship it to my house.

They also activated the phone while in the store. Why couldn't I have done that myself when I got home?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Are you sure they entered that information? They usually just use your ID to verify you are the same person.

I think if you buy it on contract you have to activate it in store. Otherwise it is not a contract phone and locked to a carrier.

3. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah the guy was typing that info into his iPhone-like device. The same device I had to use my finger to sign.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That could also be contract related. Did you buy it on contract?

5. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did. But still, if I had them ship it to my house, they wouldn't have gotten that information.

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Apple always activate the phone bought on contract in the store

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But you would have had to enter it when you activated the phone at home.

The info is for the carriers and their contracts, not for Apple. He entered it because he was doing the activation.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Please don't take this as condescending because it's not meant to be.

You were at the store where this was occurring. Did you ask the employee what he was doing and why?

I know best buy will take an ID for phone activations but they don't ebter anything at that point. Thy also take an ID for returns, where it is legal to do so. That information is entered and is stored to try and thwart people who like to buy items in bulk and return them when they are unable to resell.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I think a carrier like ATT requires Apple to confirm your ID if they are handling the sales and contract for them.

I cant blame them but this information confirms your identity for Apple and ATT.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Unless you tell them that you will open it at home, they won't bother setting up the phone at the store. But yes, the phone will be activated at store and your current phone wouldn't receive/make calls/text.

11. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

i bought an unlocked iPhone 6+ at the Apple store through an online transaction. I showed the credit card I used and took delivery of the unopened device and left in 5 minutes.