Picking up my 17" MBP in 5 hours...Need some info...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antmay, Aug 18, 2007.

1. antmay macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I reserved the 17" MBP this morning and will be heading down to the Apple Store this evening to pick it up :)

A long time PC/Windows user and first time Mac. :apple:

What are the things I need to do/perform to validate I have a good machine.
    So far, I have heard about the audio and yellowish screen issues, whatelse do I need to test?

O, dead/stuck pixel is another concern. I will be very upset to even find one.

Since I'm going picking up in about 5 hours, any fast response to this post will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. 66217 Guest

Check that all is in its place. By this I mean, check the screen is aligned, all the keyboard keys are functioning. That the mouse click works correctly.

Aside from the obvious physical problems it may have, the other ones you'll notice after at least a week of usage. You have 14 days to return it and receive a replacement if it has any defects. Dead pixels don't enter here, unless you have more than 5 I think.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If there is nothing noticeable when you use it, then you have a good machine. I have never had a problem with dead or stuck pixels on Apple desktops or laptops before, so you shouldn't be too worried about that. The only things you should check for are issues that you mentioned.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yeah, just put it through it's paces in the first 14 days and enjoy!
    I took an iMac back within the 14 days with no question.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. antmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright...Thanks to all who have replied.

Have a great weekend..

Thanks,
    Anthony

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

7. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Also test the superdrive, I once had a faulty superdrive and didn't realise for weeks because I hadn't tried a dvd.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nice... HD? 17" shocked me when I saw it nest to the 15", but you should be happy with it.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Make Sure To Buy The HD 1920 x 1200 Model Matt

Hope you are getting the HD 1920 x 1200 Matt model. Otherwise you've missed the opportunity of a lifetime. :D

10. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

IMO it's not even worth it to buy the new 17'' unless you buy the Hi res version... :)

11. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Agreed.

Also the "yellowing" issue occurs mostly with the 9C68 (Samsung) display of the 15" model. The 1900x1200 display in the 17-inch hi-res is a 9C69.

The audio situation is troubling...but I don't know if it afflicts only the 15" or both the 15" and the 17". I would tell you if I could...but Apple can't seem to ship the 3 MacBook Pros that I ordered on July 5th and July 16th to the K-12 district I ordered them from.

12. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

You should be forewarned that all the SR MBP models are currently affected by an engineering issue that makes the USB ports susceptible to interference from the AirPort card. It seems to only be an issue when recording via USB microphone on any USB port which runs off the main logic board and when running on battery power with AirPort turned on. There's an obvious workaround: only record on the USB port which sits on the secondary I/O board, or record without AirPort turned on, or record only on AC power.

It's an engineering issue of which Apple's engineers have now (since yesterday) been made aware. It probably wouldn't bother most folks too much; I decided to return my laptop because of it.

13. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

14. matttrick macrumors 6502

when you get it home, consider a fresh install without the extra languages and stuff. i wish i had done this myself. i dont know the details but im sure someone can direct you

15. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

You're joking...:eek:

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats on the purchase. i'm sure you'll love it. and i hope you got the HD version

17. antmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm back empty handed :mad: They reserved the matt screen and I wanted the glossy one. And it not even HD. Drove 50 mins to Apple Store to come home empty handed.

And now I have to call them every morning to check the availability.

What a day.....Anyhow, thanks for those who have given me the advice.

Anthony

18. sdfd504 macrumors regular

Why not just order one online? You will have it in a few days since there is no backorder on them.

19. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

No, I'm not joking at all---neither about the issue nor about returning my MBP because of it. I record my voice a lot for work, and this is how I stumbled upon the issue, which seems to have gone unnoticed until now. Even though there's an easy workaround, I didn't feel comfortable spending that much money on a machine with a confirmed design flaw that may or may not be fixable in the foreseeable future. I asked the lead Genius to also test the 15" models they had on the floor, and he confirmed that the problem was affecting all of their (SR) 17" and 15" models. After a logic board replacement on my SR 17", the problem was still there, and they ended up replacing nearly every piece of hardware in the thing (except optical drive and hard drive), only to discover that they couldn't make the problem go away. Another user on this forum confirmed that his MBP was doing the same thing under the stated conditions. (Feel free to search for my thread entitled 'SR 17" MBP owners, desperately need your help testing' --- or something to that effect.)

I ended up with a 24" iMac (awesome) and a black MacBook (not bad) for my trouble. Both of the new machines are completely trouble-free---and believe me, after all the problems I've had lately with Apple computers (6 MacBook Pros in the last year, 5 of which had serious issues), I tested both new machines EXTENSIVELY.

I can live with the MacBook for a while. It has its virtues, to be sure---although I definitely prefer the 17" MBP. But I still can't wrap my head around the notion of spending $3K on a flawed design. I've decided to wait until the next MBP revision and then extensively research the thing for a month or two before purchasing a 17" model at that time.

20. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

This is NOT good news for me. I will do some voice over work for HD videos we film and there will be a time when I have to do this outside of our studio, i.e. on location broadcasts.

I guess I'll have to suffer through it with the work-arounds until they find a permanent solution.

21. antmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I thought I could get it the same day.

Tomorrow ( Monday ) I will call again and if they don't have it, I will order it online.

Thanks,
    Anthony

22. peterhecht macrumors newbie

only USB or also the FW400 and 800 ports??? I have a FW Audio Interface...