Picking up my MacBook Unibody today: need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rkrskr, Nov 26, 2008.

  1. rkrskr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #1
    Hi,

    I would be picking up my MacBook (2.0 Ghz, 160 GB 5400 rpm) today. However, I feel that the hard disk space of 160 GB is not enough, especially with Boot Camp and Windows Vista. As such, I am planning on upgrading the hard disk to 320 GB, 5400 rpm. I would therefore appreciate any advice on the following issue:

    Should I power on my MacBook first, test it for any issues (i.e. dead pixels), then install the hard drive and Mac OS X,

    OR

    Should I immediately put in the new hard disk and install Mac OS X.
     
  2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #2
    I'd actually use it for your two week return period with the original just in case. After that time, upgrade all you want. I did something similar in putting an extra 2G of RAM in mine and then wound up returning it and sitting on $135 of ram.
     
  3. nylon macrumors 65816

    nylon

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2004
    #3
    I'd pick it up on Friday due to Black Friday deals from Apple.
     
  4. rkrskr thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #4
    Thanks. I think I will use it for 2 weeks first, assess the reliability of the laptop before deciding whether to upgrade the hard drive. In the meantime, I will use Time Machine, so if I do upgrade the hard disk, I can just port all my files and programs over.
     
  5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #5
    Just go the Best Buy they already have them at prices we can expect Apple to have. Maybe more.

    I would wait until the 14 days it up before installing anything. You can get everything set up on the 160 and just do an easy transfer to the 320
     

Share This Page