Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shebalord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hi ppl,

Long time reader, but first time poster. :)

I'm picking up my new iPhone 3G in about a week or so. What do I need to do to keep the phone able to accept SIM cards from other carriers? Should I activate it while at the ATT store when I pick it up? or I need to activate and update software from iTunes?

Thanks in advance!

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
right now if I'm not mistaken, theres not a easy way to unlock the 3g iPhone at the moment. I could be wrong, I know theres a way with a SIM tool, but you can't do it via Installer or Cydia, like on 1.1.4 or below.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I'd keep an eye on Engadget and Gizmodo; right now there's no official unlock for the 3G I think, but as soon as there is one, they'll test it and vet it to make sure it's legit.

Don't fall for someone trying to convince you that they can do it or they know someone who can but it'll cost $$$....wait for the iphone dev team and the iphone hacking community to pop out a solution.

cmascatello

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
there is a sim unlock card for the iPhone 3G.

but i don't know if this is vaporware or what.

maybe other posters could help out.

I ordered the SIM Unlock from them and it showed up late last week direct from Hong Kong. Have not had a chance to try it out yet, but will be heading overseas in a week or so.

shebalord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
thanks for the replies guys!

i will keep reading engagdet and gizmodo for sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.