Picking up some PPC's!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FlatlinerG, Dec 20, 2012.

1. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Just made a deal with a guy at work who has some old power pc's. We were talking about Apple products and he mentioned that he has an iMac G5 that he doesn't use and when asked if he'd sell it, we agreed on a gaming headset that I have that I don't even use anymore (razer carcharias) and then also mentioned that he has a non-functioning iMac G4 that he'd give me for free.

Score! :D

Apparently the G4 doesn't work quite right, super slow boot time and random crashing after that. Also, system preferences doesn't load at all and will crash the system. Crossing my fingers that I can salvage it. Super excited!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

On the G4- try reinstalling the OS/replacing the Hard drive.

What models are these?

3. FlatlinerG thread starter macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Not 100% sure on the exact models. I haven't picked them up from his place just yet.

He said that he had tried tried troubleshooting the G4 before and said the kernel panic errors he was getting indicated the hard drive was at fault but he tried 4 seperate drives with the same outcome. I'll definitely try reinstalling the OS and might try some new ram if I can get some at the right price.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Sounds like an issue with the HD controller to me.

5. FlatlinerG thread starter macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Is that "easily" repairable?

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

No, I believe it is on the Logic Board. Perhaps Intell could comment on this- he knows a lot about PowerPC Macs.