Pickpockets

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by P4ulypops, Mar 13, 2015.

1. P4ulypops macrumors member

P4ulypops

I love the Milanese and Leather Loops, but as a conscious Londoner, I can't help but to feel that they would be easy to pick-pocket in a rush hour. I know that no watch is _that_ safe from a skilled pro, but these seem easy to snag off someone.

I wonder if they'll be any kind of way to report it as stollen and if someone else tries to pair it, the gps on that device will alert out? I plan to spend more on this than my iPad air, so it would be good to know if I get jacked, that I can brick it and the theif won't get a penny in a [pawn shop].

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I think if its gone its gone. Heck the police generally don't really help recover phones that can be located with Find my Phone. How much more resistive will they be for a watch

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Not the first time this has been mentioned but again i will reply saying i dont think its going to be that easy to do with the loop straps. They have to unlatch, loosen the strap and slide it over your wrist to get it off you which is going to be fairly noticeable.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

For a skilled pickpocket, it will be no trouble at all.

5. NeutralGeek macrumors regular

The victim has to be that stupid or high on drugs.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I think even a skilled pickpocket is going to find it difficult to slip it completely over the wrist and hand to take it off as i dont think the loop watches will undo completely. As far as i can tell from the pics the metal end on the strap wont fit through the connector loop attached to the watch for it to be completely undone....it will always be looped in some way.

If anything its possibly more secure than the other standard non loop straps.

7. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

From a law enforcement point of view here in the States, we always see an influx of robberies where people get their new model iPhones. They don't bother pick-pocketing, criminals just take it.

I suspect the same when the Apple Watch is seen in the wild.

8. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I think you mean: for a talented pickpocket, it will be no trouble at all.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

For a guy with a gun, it won't be any trouble..

10. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

Exactly! Im in Los Angeles County and thats what they do, even for older iPhones. I know that the watches will be next.

No "nice" pick pocketers here.

11. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Probably can be done. In NYC though, the police estimate that there are only about dozen or two guys still playing that game. Not enough cash in the average guys wallet these days to justify the risk. And the old guys aren't training young guys the skills anymore. And the sub $1,000 Apple Watch really isn't that big a score.

I'd worry about the old snatch and run or the stick up. Assuming you've flashed your iPhone 6 as well at some point, the thief will be able to peg you with $1,500 of Apple gear, plus whatever is in your wallet. That might make you a target.