Pics as email attachments. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

When I send a jpeg for work to someone on Windows as a 1MB image, why do they always moan that its not an attachment and is always in body of email instead, and always arrives as a bitmap at a lot larger than 1MB?

I attach by dragging and dropping so its in body but I have the save as option when get it back as the original jpeg?

Mac Mail SL.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Instead of dragging and dropping into the body, select the paper clip and add as an attachment.

Attached Files:

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks

Simple as that? Does that actually make the difference? When I do that, it still appears in the body of mail.

What is that a screen shot of, My one looks very different. Is that Lion?

4. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

Peter Franks,

You might try the solution described here. It worked for me.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

This may work for you as well. If you right click on the attachment you should be able to select "View as Icon" (or "View in Place" if it is already an icon).

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks, I'm sending an image for print to a magazine and what they're getting at their end is totally different to what I'm sending. Very strange

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, this makes no sense whatsoever. Can anyone throw any light on it.

I used attach instead of drag and drop, and the offices at other end said same difference, it only shows in body of email not as an attachment.

It's also not a jpeg, it's a bitmap.

I sent from a Gmail account online and it sends fine as a jpeg?

What's with MacMail? Why can't it just send a Simple JPEG to someone as an attachment

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Not a fix for the issue as such, but rather a workaround.
    You could zip/compress the file first then attach that.

Just right click on the file you want to send and choose compress, then attach the .zip file that is created instead of the original image.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you, doesn't make a lot of sense that is how it gets received, but a good workaround. Thank you.

Do Mac owners receive the same I wonder

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Are you sure it's not to do with the preferences of the receiver?

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't think so? I think its a common problem but still no solution. He has no attachment receiving end. And only a pic in body. It was supposed to be 300dpi jpeg for print use and he gets as a 96dpi bitmap from saving from body of email. There is no attachment.

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

When you are sending the images are you making sure to set the image size to be "Actual Size" (it may be worth selecting a different setting and then setting it back to Actual Size). Also does the Message Size match the size of the image you are sending?

Attached Files:

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Dark Dragoon is probably correct in .zip the file and send that way. But have you asked the Print Company if you can just upload it directly to their FTP Site. This is what I do with my Printing Company. I upload directly to their FTP and it saves me a lot of hassle trying to email. They can then just download it easily. Just another suggestion that may work for you.

14. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Yes I do check actual size and when looking in sent items that was 2MB and as it should be.

What I don't get is they don't see attachments, its only in body. When I receive pics its also in body but always see as an attachment as well.

What I do get more so now than before is 'missing plug in' when I look at some of the sent pics, but that's a come and go type problem I've had from day one on a Mac, same as it saving too many sent emails on the Drafts folder.