(pics included) how do i get these into the applications folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hey,
    Heres what i have done so far, i downloaded a program to work with rar files and another to connect to my iphone.

once they downloaded they opened up a folder with a couple of files in them... i clicked the main file and worked with them as usual... but they didnt go into the applications folder, instead they were mounted (pic 1 and 2 below).

How do i get them into the applications folder and "registered" so it shows up in the "open with"?

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

You should be able to drag the app to the apps folder and the rest into a folder somewhere.

Or am I missing something.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The dmgs you mounted are for you to copy the app from, not to run the app from. Drag the apps from the mounted dmgs into your apps folder, unmount them, and throw the dmgs away.

5. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

OIC!
    I got a bit confused as there were so many files... but i did as you said and dragged just the main file and it works, thanks!

6. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

When something is mounted it is put in your computer with all the files so you can save them to your hard drive. Volumes are not meant to be used directly as they aren't really saved to your computer. Just open them in the finder and drag them to applications (you see it on the side of the finder window)

7. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are guides under the Mac Basics thread. Might want to read that.

Might want to read this or take some free workshops provided by Apple Store.
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

9. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually... i have, or you guys would see a ten fold increase in my questions :)
    but its kind of hard to remember everything as i have been a PC user for maybe 15years so i sometimes forget some stuff and some old questions keep popping up.

Cheers!
    °°