pics multiplied in iphoto folder, but iphoto empty!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattrvb, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mattrvb macrumors newbie

I was backing up files yesterday when i noticed one of my pictures appeared several times in many of my iphoto library folders (in the picture folder in the home folder in Macintosh HD), and there were also new folders under their own dates full of the same picture - mostly named "data".
    I didn't want to back these up, so i deleted them...
    I still have all (i think) my photos in these folders, but when i open iphoto it is empty - just says "no photos".
    However, there are now numerous (hundreds even thousands) of blank photos peppered or swamping my iphoto library folders.
    Does this sound like a 'virus' of some sort. I know macs are robust, but what else would explain this?
    Any advice on how i might get out of this would be much appreciated. As you might have guessed, I'm not that computer literate.:confused:
    Thanks alot.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's not a virus. They were possibly thumbnails. iPhoto also keeps your originals in case you ever want to go back. Really you shouldn't dink around with your iPhoto library. Odds are, you screwed yourself over.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Exactly, the iPhoto library (folder), should be left alone. Do not alter anything in there, as it will almost certainly break your iPhoto library.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

click on the iPhoto icon in the dock, then quickly press and hold command (the apple key if you have older hardware) and the option key. then check all of the boxes in the dialogue box that pops up and wait for your database to be rebuilt.

and one rule of thumb for ANY computer is to not delete something unless you're sure it's useless or shouldn't be there.