Pics of iCarbons Skin on My Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Scottyee, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Scottyee, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

Scottyee macrumors regular

I recently purchased and have just installed the iCarbons "Brushed Aluminum" Skin for my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard, and thought you might like to see the pics I took of my iPad 3 with BestSkinsEver clear back skin and Logitech Ultrathin with iCarbons skin setup. Thanks to both BestSkinsEver and iCarbons for the quick delivery and their excellent customer service, as my first iCarbons package arrived US postal service damaged, yet iCarbons rushed me an immediate replacement which arrived in perfect condition a mere 2 days later.
    I feel that both the BestSkinsEver and iCarbons skins not only offer very good protection from scratches, but greatly enhance the appearance of the iPad & Logitiech Ultrathin devices as well. :cool:

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  2. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Very nice bro! I think I'm gonna pick one up. I actually picked a carbon fiber skin off ebay for 5 bucks in which I have installed on the back of my ultra thin keyboard. But I do want to pick up this skin soon. Well done.

3. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Very nice, I like the look of the iPad. Have you had any issues with the magnetic latching portion of the logitech keyboard, is magnet strong enough to make a secure connection with the iPad?

4. slaphotk macrumors member

Ditto...Waiting for confirmation on magnet strength before I go this route..I REALLY want to make this work..This keyboard is AWESOME!

5. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

If you're referring to the logitech's 'magnetic slot' that holds & supports the iPad when in typing position . . . YES ! Even with the BestSkinsEver iPad back skin applied, the magnetic strength is strong enough to easily allow me to lift the iPad up in the air, holding the iPad alone, yet both the iPad and Logitech keyboard remain magnetically attached together.

If you're referring to the magnet that's supposed to keep the iPad & Logitech Keyboard together closed, that's an entirely different story. That magnet strength is too weak to do that. :( That's not a serious issue for me though because I actually prefer continuing to using the Apple Smart Cover to protect the iPad during transport, & simply attach magnetically, the Logitech keyboard to the iPad + Smart Cover, similar to the way
    Joekim demonstrates in the YouTube Video below. :) The only difference is that I use skins, instead of a back cover shell, to makes this setup even lighter and slimmer:

Watch YouTube Video: Logitech Ultrahin + Smart Cover + iPad : = WINNER!!

:cool:

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

The Ultrathin works fine as does the magnet. I am at a loss to understand what people are complaining about. It adheres to the iPad no better and no worse than the Smartcover.

The iPad, Ultrathin and Smartcover combination is a cheap solution for people who don't want to spend money on the iCarbons Ultrathin skin.

7. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

And this is where the problem lies. The weight of the Logitech Ultrathin cover is both thicker and heavier than the smart cover's leather/poly material, so needs a significantly stronger magnet to approach the holding strength of the smart cover's magnet. On the other hand, the Ultrathin's "iPad slot" is far more than adequate to keep the iPad (even with a skin installed on back), solidly secured in "typing" position.

8. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

The magnet does all I need it to do, i.e., hold the Ultrathin in place.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

The on/off magnet is too weak and does not keep the cover closed. Its the primary reason I returned it.

That and the fixed 60 degree angle made its more useless than useful.

I did like it as a cover in terms on looks.

10. sithjedi333 macrumors newbie

Is the icarbons grippy like the bestskinsever? I prefer some slight grippiness so it doesn't slide off the desk.

thanks.

11. Scottyee, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

No. Though the iCarbons skin has got a brushed aluminum texture, the overall feel is smooth, and not "even "slighty grippy" like the BestSkinsEver skin is. That said, the "dry installed" iCarbons Skin was easier to install than the "wet installed" BestSkinsEver skin applied on the back of my iPad. In addition, having installed both brands now ...

I esp. like the smooth transparant shiny appearance and slighty grippy feel the BestSkinsEver skin provides :). , but suspect the edges will peel in time, as I have read of some people experiencing that and having to replace their BSE skin in 4- 6 months. In fact, inspecting my BestSkinEver skin closely now,
    I already notice around my iPad (WiFi + 4G model) microphone port (located top center of Pad), that the skin is already showing signs of not adhering completely around the microphone port cutout. :(

Though I'm not sure yet, I sensed during application, that the adhesive used on the iCarbons skin is stronger and may be more resistant to eventually peeling at the edges. I'd be curious to hear from other iCarbon skin and BestSkinsEver owners re skin longevity and resistant to peeling experiences.

12. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Heh. iCarbons has a bit of a shipping problem.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Luckily, the sheets inside weren't too bad off:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll apply them tonight and post pictures.

Geo

13. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Geo, where do you live? That's almost as bad as how the outside package of my first shipment looked from iCarbons as well. When I called iCarbons about it they acknowledged there had been a lot of rain in FL, so suspect their packages have been getting soaked with rain on the outbound weakening the cardboard, and then becoming further damaged, ripped, and torn along its travel route, to California, in my case. My first iCarbon skin arrived so damaged that I wasn't able to achieve a succesful install result. Thankfully iCarbons rushed me out a replacement, though that outside packaging looked similarly water damaged as well, but thankfully didn't reach the iCarbon skin packaging itself, as I asked them to include a couple of extra cardboard inserts to help keep the outside cardboard envelope from bending.

Anyway, glad to hear your iCarbon skin itself arrived unscathed, and looking forward to seeing your installation pics. Though I love the look of my BestSkinsEver iPad back skin, if and when it eventually peels, I may replace it
    with an iCarbons brushed aluminum skin to match the iCarbon skin I've got installed on my Logitech Ultrathin, as it appears that the iCarbons dry install adhesive appears to me less suseptible to eventual peeling at the edges. Time will tell I suppose.

14. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I live near San Jose, so I suspect it's the same issue. I sent them an email with these pics mentioning that I didn't need a refund, but it sure would be nice if they reinforced w/ an additional piece of cardboard or something.

15. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

OK, pics.

But first, just wanted to mention that the iCarbons are bloodthirsty. Their first act on the iPad was to break the Devicewear Union case when I tried to see if they'll fit simultaneously! The iCarbons will tolerate no competition.

Here are some quick and dirties. Note that this is the very first time I've installed vinyl on an iPad (much less an iPad keyboard) so while I'm sure someone might see some imperfections here and there, I don't need to know about them. OTOH, if you want to tell me what a great job I did, go ahead. ;)

iPad:
    [​IMG]

Keyboard cover, keyboard side:
    [​IMG]

Keyboard cover, cover side:
    [​IMG]

iPad mounted in keyboard (it sticks, for anyone curious):
    [​IMG]

iPad mounted in keyboard from the back:
    [​IMG]

Install was simple--took 30 minutes between iPad and keyboard, including heating the corners and redoing them once or twice.

Only thing that may be an issue is that the carbon fiber texture is pretty slick, and my hands sweat sometimes. That means I'm likely to use a smart cover (when not using keyboard) just for the extra grip.

I do wish the cover vinyl had a cutout for the Logitech logo, but there you go. Overall, it's a nice looking addition, and makes me feel much better about toting it around. Thanks for the heads up on availability!

16. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Looks very nice, good job on the install btw, looks near perfect and thank you for the pics!!
    I think I wanna pick one up too, deciding between the white carbon fiber and brushed aluminum.

17. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of installation, especially since it's dry-stick and can't be easily repositioned while flat.

The back sheet for the keyboard is probably the toughest piece, since there's no guide there to center. That's one reason I would've liked a logo cutout--it would have been a reference point.

18. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Geo,
    Hi neighbor, East Bay SF area here.
    First of all, impressive job you did on your iCarbons skins install. I agree with you that the iCarbons dry install can be tricky and may require some installation luck as well because it can be difficult to pull up and reposition it if you don't get it right the first time. Though I personally prefer the brushed aluminum look, I think your all black kit looks real nice too. Its just a shame your iCarbons skin didn't play nice with your Devicewear Union case. :eek: From looking at the pics, it looks like the iCarbons black skin is thicker than the brushed aluminum skin, as yours includes a raised ribbing texture, while the brushed aluminum skin only includes a scratched texture, with no raised ribbing. Thanks again for posting the pics.

19. Mark1478 macrumors newbie

hey. New to the forum :). How's the grip on those icarbons? Does the magnet stay strong when connected to the ultrathin in typing mode?

20. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Grip's fine. I'm perfectly comfortable carrying around the iPad one-handed.

Magnet is very strong in the keyboard slot. It's weak when hinging the keyboard like a cover. I don't think it was terribly affected one way or the other by the skin.

21. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

Wow, that looks really sexy! It was a nice combo with the silver, but the carbon skins give it a nice stealth factor.