Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/8/5287924/nokia-android-ui-normandy-leak-rumor

q47R7Vk.jpg

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nice. I wonder if it will be available here in the US.

It's unknown if it will be available 'anywhere'.....

The Nokia - Microsoft transition completes shortly. How likely is Microsoft to support Google Android when Google have made themselves so anti WIndows Phone with lack of Google app support.

I personally think this will never see the light of day.

Also for reference folks, those designs look very similar to the stock apps if the MeeGo Nokia N9 I had .... So just a continuation of an existing aesthetic.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The Nokia - Microsoft transition completes shortly. How likely is Microsoft to support Google Android when Google have made themselves so anti WIndows Phone with lack of Google app support.

I personally think this will never see the light of day.

Yes, this particular phone is dead but there is nothing to say we won't see a Nokia Android phone once the no-complete clause expires at the end of 2015 - They just can't call it Lumia.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I don't see a Nokia android phone happening. They have two options: Be a large fish in a small pond or a medium sized fish in a giant ocean. Isn't Samsung the only Android phone manufacturer that actually makes a solid, consistent profit?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
A Nokia running Android has been on a lot wish lists for a long time. I'd buy one for sure. Nokia has had some missteps, but their hardware is still the best on the market in my opinion.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I don't think it'll happen anytime in the near future. They've invested so much money and effort in marketing Windows that it would be a huge mistake to abandon it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't see a Nokia android phone happening. They have two options: Be a large fish in a small pond or a medium sized fish in a giant ocean. Isn't Samsung the only Android phone manufacturer that actually makes a solid, consistent profit?

I disagree with that. Design and Camera wise, Nokia models have been one of the best. If another manufacturer like Samsung, HTC, and etc: were exclusively WP, then WP would have been finished.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I disagree with that. Design and Camera wise, Nokia models have been one of the best. If another manufacturer like Samsung, HTC, and etc: were exclusively WP, then WP would have been finished.

Nah.

If Samsung had done an about face and went with WP exclusively... we'd be seeing a lot more WP users out there. Nokia is great, but they're hardly the behemoth people make them out to be.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Why would I buy an android device that looks like Windows Phone?

I actually like the look of android. That's why I buy android and not WP...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I wish manufacturers would offer a choice of OS on their phones, especially when they run identical hardware inside. I'd drool over a Nokia Lumia 1520 running Stock android,

If they did you can bet Lumia's would be a popular device on Cyanogenmod.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

Isn't Samsung the only Android device maker that makes a solid, consistent profit? Why would Nokia want to join Android?

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I wish manufacturers would offer a choice of OS on their phones, especially when they run identical hardware inside. I'd drool over a Nokia Lumia 1520 running Stock android,

Funny cause thats the exact conversation I was having with a friend not too long ago.

I would love the 1520 running Stock Android. I think it would be an absolute success.

----------

Nah.

If Samsung had done an about face and went with WP exclusively... we'd be seeing a lot more WP users out there. Nokia is great, but they're hardly the behemoth people make them out to be.

I think Nokia is what is keeping WP alive.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Funny cause thats the exact conversation I was having with a friend not too long ago.

I would love the 1520 running Stock Android. I think it would be an absolute success.

----------

I think Nokia is what is keeping WP alive.

Only because they're the ones that took it as their only one. It isn't because Nokia has a lot of power.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Was Nokia able to make solid, consistent profit with Windows Phone?

Yes. Microsoft has invested millions and millions of dollars into Nokia and Nokia devices have done nothing but grow, along with a ~$150 million dollar operating profit in Q3 2013, that number will get nothing but higher which would not happen with Android.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yes. Microsoft has invested millions and millions of dollars into Nokia and Nokia devices have done nothing but grow, along with a ~$150 million dollar operating profit in Q3 2013, that number will get nothing but higher which would not happen with Android.

How do you know that wouldn't have happened under android? Simple question is if Nokia had sold android phones, would they have sold more phones than they have windows phones? And if so, would those additional sales have brought in more money than what Microsoft paid Nokia? Just because HTC, LG, Sony, and Motorola have struggled doesn't mean Nokia would have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.