Picture Folder Preview Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hyeok, Mar 14, 2008.

1. hyeok macrumors member

Is there a way to get Mac OS X to show as the icon for folders containing pictures thumbnails of some of the pics from inside? There is a similar feature in Windows and it is very easy to see which folders contain which pictures if you have alot of different folders:

Note that the icons below are folders containing pictures
    [​IMG]

Or if this is impossible, is there a plug-in that will make it do this?

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Unfortunately this isn't a feature included in Mac OS X, and I don't know of any third-party applications or plug-ins that add this functionality. Hopefully Apple will add this feature to Mac OS X in the next major release. It's a feature I'd like available, too.

You can change the icon of any folder, though, which might be a good makeshift solution.

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Hahaha, I like your "Image" folder there.

I never liked how this was implemented in Windows. It looks ugly. I imagine that Apple didn't include it because there wasn't a way to make it functional and pretty at the same time.

4. hyeok thread starter macrumors member

It might be pretty, but it's not very functional, IMO.

5. denpashonen macrumors newbie

The folder preview functionality in Windows is a great idea and OS X should adopt it. I have so many photos in numerous subfolders in our shared drive that it is easier for me to find which folders contain what pictures from my wife's Windows laptop than through my MBP's Finder view. I think it's a shame that OS X's media view falls short in this front. Sure, I can set my Finder to column view and 'try to' figure out by looking at the waay too tiny thumbnails, but I still need to interact by selecting through each folder. Cover Flow, great. It's not useful to quickly ascertain where the image you are looking for is stored. Yes, Windows interface is not as slick as OS X, but I've got to be honest and say that Finder is limited when compared to Windows for this use.

I've been trying out FileBrowse, http://www.filebrowse.com. If you think the Windows folder preview functionality can't be implemented in a more elegant manner, take a look at this offering. Great interface and slick viewer. It would be great if OS X eventually added something like this.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I think Apple's solution to this problem is events in iPhoto. Pretty and functional! Maybe this feature will migrate to Finder in the future. However, I don't think Apple likes to encourage managing images in Finder, so it is probably unlikely.

7. vcollins macrumors newbie

try FileBrowse

look at FileBrowse--it's the closest thing I've found to Win's folder view

8. opusandbill macrumors newbie

I figured out how to place a single photo as a preview for a folder.
    I am using photoshop CS3.

1. open the image in photoshop
    2. click file then save as
    3. click format and select "PICT Resource"
    4. hit ok
    5. make sure that "jpeg (maximum quality)", if you don't sometimes it will not work.
    6. hit ok
    7. click on the folder you want to change and select get info
    8. copy the saved rsr file and paste it on the small folder in the top left

[​IMG]