Picture in picture makes it so hard to focus

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I like this feature a lot. I do. But I noticed whenever I have Hulu or something playing while I'm doing ANYTHING else (browsing, reading, writing, whatever) I lose focus and can't enjoy whatever I'm watching. I watched a couple episodes of some show in pip and didn't like it. Moved on. Saw the show again later on when I was actually paying attention and the show was one of my favorites ever. I'm worried I'll half ass a lot of these shows and movies and miss out on things I would have really liked. So for right now, I'm using pip less.

Anybody else feel like this? Maybe I'm crazy

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'd never use it because I can't see the point.

It sort-of made sense 15-20 years ago, on TV. You'd change channels in commercial breaks but keep the main program visible so you could "see" when the ads were over.

I don't know. Maybe it's a comment on the poor quality of video entertainment these days?

3. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

My brain doesn't do multitasking :confused: so its one or the other for me. Nice to have the option tho

4. willyx macrumors member

Hopefully for brainOS 10.0 we will have real multitasking.

5. Xprmntr macrumors member

Xprmntr

Agreed, I like to focus on stuff that commands full attention, but I do see the use case as far as listening to a video podcast or music on YouTube and news, maybe sports

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

There are two times when I use PiP: when I want to lookup more information about what I'm watching, or when I've seen what I'm watching before enough that I don't have to pay attention to it to know what's going on. In the former instance, if I'm watching a movie or TV show and think I recognize an actor I might go to iMDB or Wikipedia to see if it's them. I also enjoy reading about movies/TV shows that I watch (production info, anecdotes, etc.) and sometimes will do that while I'm watching something.

In the latter instances, if it's something I've seen a ton of times (like episodes of Star Trek, for instance) I don't have to pay that much attention to follow the story and can tune it out a bit while I work on other things but still have it as background noise. I used to do that a lot when I was in school and would do work at Starbucks while my wife was working a dog rescue event in the parking lot. I knew all the major beats of the story so I didn't have to pay attention to it to go along with it.

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I did pip once or twice, just to see if it worked. It did. It is not something I will use. Ever.

8. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I agree if I'm watching a video, it generally demands my attention. However, it is definitely useful in certain instances. I think it's nice to have the option to just open email or a web browser and have the video shrink into the corner so it keeps playing. I don't think I'd ever use PiP for a long period of time, but for quick web or email checks while a show is playing, or to play brief news stories that don't need demand the full screen it's a nice feature to have.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

is it working for u properly on Hulu? mine seems to close it on every commercial break and between commercials and i have to resume it in full screen from before the commercial break again

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think PIP is nice to have. When I get important email with attachment and I need to call my friend via FaceTime to discuss about email attachment.

12. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I use PiP whenever I quickly need to do something that takes a short time, or when I play some silly game that doesn't demand attention, like Crossy Road or something.

13. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I had that problem before the last update. Looks like the new update fixed it for me.

14. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

First time I used it was watching some Coldplay music videos on the Youtube webstie, this worked pretty well for that. Other than that, distractin

15. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

I like the PIP mode. I use it mostly for video podcasts and can have them playing while updating apps, playing a game, etc. I do find it doesn't work as well if I need to read text though at the same time since I end up focusing on either the text or the video....and when that happens, there is no rewind 30 second button in PIP mode....so I find that lacking. It is great for video podcasts though.

16. newellj macrumors 601

That's the point. The silicon-based hardware and firmware is way ahead of the carbon-based versions.