picture in picture ?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by callawayno1, Aug 4, 2017.

1. callawayno1 macrumors member

can you do Picture in Picture in high Sierra from safari browser even if the video in safari doesn t support it ?? hope you understand what i ask ?

2. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

PiP needs to be implemented natively by the website devs themselves, so some have it, some don't.

One easy solution to make it work for most websites running HTML 5 is PiPifier: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pipifier-pip-for-nearly-every-video/id1160374471?mt=12

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I recommend NOT using the app ryxn mentioned above, or any other method that involves an app. It's completely unnecessary to have a separate app injecting code into Safari. This can be done with a simple extension for Safari.

Get PiPtool (open source) and it ads a button to Safari's toolbar that works with any video on any site... just click the button, then click the video you want PiP'd—unlike other apps that hide the invoke capability in a contextual menu, or try to inject it into the interface of the video player on the website itself (which means it's in a different spot on every video unless you ONLY watch YouTube). The other problem is that for whatever reason, most of these apps work most of the time, but not ALL of the time.

I've been using PiPtool for over a year and it has worked every single time, without fail. I think there are one or two other Safari Extensions that do the same thing, but I lucked out when I found this one and it worked. When I tried to compare it to all the others I found to see if there was something better, every other one failed for one reason or the other.

The crummy thing about this is that the mere fact that this extension proves that Apple COULD make every video work with PiP, they simply CHOOSE not to.

4. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I never even thought about trying an extension to enable more sites, I just assumed it didn't work on most sites other than Vimeo and Youtube. Why can't apple just do this? Odd.

5. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

It isn't "completely unnecessary" to install Safari extensions from the Mac App Store. Unless there is a compelling reason why I wouldn't have a user install Safari extensions through Apple's channels, I always check there first. Additionally, the extension works perfectly fine for me on my iMac 5k.

Taken from Apple's website:

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Go back and read my post. I didn't say it's unnecessary to install Safari extensions from the Mac App Store. I said it's unnecessary to install APPS to inject code into Safari that can be accomplished by a simple Safari extension.

The link you provided is for an APP that then turns around and installs an extension or otherwise injects the code as an extension. Either way, it's unnecessary.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2017 ---
    Well, PiPTool and other extensions like it are basically a hack. And they aren't perfect. Apple tries to inject that PiP button into the interface of the site's native video controls. While that makes sense for many reasons, it's extremely difficult to do when there are literally thousands of video types out there.

The extensions basically skip the native video route and simply play any video in a window that is sized to fit only the video in it and remove all interface elements of the native video and only offer play/pause and remove from PiP buttons. While this seems good for the user at a glance, it also adds all manner of potential issues.

7. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

While I'm not a developer, I do see the benefits of downloading an app from the Mac App Store or the Safari Extensions Gallery over posting a download link. Security is the first thing that comes to mind, as well convenience and availability to users who wouldn't otherwise look in places like GitHub. Yes, this particular app simply injects code and installs an extension through the app, but after reading through the documentation and videos Apple has explaining how Safari Apps work, I'm convinced that my previous point has merit. I'm not going to bicker with you over whether it's unnecessary or not, but from a usability standpoint, finding and downloading an app from Apple's official channels, like I said before, is much better for the average user than a simple download link.

https://developer.apple.com/library...InternetWeb/Conceptual/SafariAppExtension_PG/