Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

November

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
.AU
Cars are so damn cheap in the states. When I was living in Utah for the winters I was driving a near new (04) Volvo XC70. Thing cost LESS than my SV6.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Pardon me if I offended you, clearly that wasn't my intention. He wanted an Escalade therefore he purchased an Escalade. I'm pretty sure if he wanted another type of vehicle he would have purchased it. He shouldn't have to justify his reasoning to anyone on his purchase. You made 2 very good points...the keywords are in italics and bold.

"there is no way I could possibly afford to make journeys that I do."

"Maybe it's just me, but I begrudge paying vast amounts of money for a substance which I am literally just going to burn."

In conclusion, why should he be questioned regarding a purchase he made?

This statement is true. People shouldn't justify what they spend their money one to others. Me personally, my car just got totaled by some jackarse in an 08' Tahoe up here in PDX in the snow. Apparently he thought 4WD works perfectly in ice:(

So i am now going to be riding in style in a new TREK MTB:) I figured i will save a ton of cash and get into shape. I will post pics in a few days when i pick her up! Spending 100K on school, i guess any money saved will help me buy a car this summer...hopefully a G35 (05' or so) or something...

What gets me, though; is when people are all pro environment, yet drive 12 cylinder cars. drives me up the wall:)

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
1076126160_55999585ae_o.jpg

1075263827_0dd8fa31e5_o.jpg

Nothing super fancy... a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. As much as I hate making payments while in school, it's a perfect car for lugging stuff and friends all over the place. Certainly can't complain! Hopefully in a couple years, I'll be able to upgrade to a new Camaro... :p

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Love the Evo, I am a 4g63 guy my self! Sadly not an evo, but an Eclipse and a talon :(
Hope to pick up an Evo IX one day though, they just made them legal for import here in Canada :D

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Oh sweet! Yeah and the price has fallen pretty far lately on the IX. I'm sure you would love the upgrade as the driving experience in the Evo is far superior to the dsm's even if the drivetrain didn't change drasticly.

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
UK
2n7npjr.jpg

2008 Audi S5 Quattro (V8, 4.2, 354bhp)

Mods:- Hoen bulb upgrade, KW V2 Coilovers, H&R spacers (15mm), Sportec Pedal Set, K&N Air Filter, Milltek exhaust and finally, the custom number plate.

I also own a 2007 black Range Rover Sport 4.2 V8 Supercharged HSE. I don't have any photographs of it though, I'll get some up in a couple of days when i get the time :) and a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa that i use for work, when i need to travel long distances (cheap on petrol!)

Revlefty

macrumors regular
May 18, 2006
2n7npjr.jpg

Mods:- Hoen bulb upgrade, KW V2 Coilovers, H&R spacers (15mm), Sportec Pedal Set, K&N Air Filter, Milltek exhaust and finally, the custom number plate.

I also own a 2007 black Range Rover Sport 4.2 V8 Supercharged HSE. I don't have any photographs of it though, I'll get some up in a couple of days when i get the time :) and a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa that i use for work, when i need to travel long distances (cheap on petrol!)

NICE!

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
2n7npjr.jpg

You sir, win the award for my favorite car so far. You should post some pics of the LED light strips during the night time. ;)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Vauxhall Tigra Coupé Roadster, 2 seater. I would have gone for a black one but didn't have time to wait for one after my old car gave up the ghost.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Vauxhall Tigra Coupé Roadster, 2 seater. I would have gone for a black one but didn't have time to wait for one after my old car gave up the ghost.

A Corsa with lipstick on! My mum had a 54 Corsa and it was an alright car but the interior was very dated. It's a shame that they used the same one on the Tigra.

Incidentally though, I've tried a few cars with steering wheel audio controls and so far the Corsa has been the best in terms of positioning. They're just right and feel great to use.

uncleSmurf

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I posted this in the old thread but it was nearly dead last :)

Sideofcar.jpg

The subaru started life as an 02 WRX. I swapped in a JDM STI Version 7 motor (8k rpm and forged internals), transmission (bullet-proof 6-speed), rear diff, brakes and interior. Some minor mods like KW coilover suspension, an exhaust and tune, and some exterior enhancements :). Ended up around 290 whp and was fantastic around the track. I had big plans (GT35R turbo, 500 whp on race gas) but then I realized it was retarded to be spending so much money on a car at my age. I moved on to Real Life (tm), married my HS sweetheart, and went off to grad school.

I sold the car and used the money to buy a new Mazdaspeed 3 (Mazda 3 MPS for the rest of you). It's bone stock and has stayed that way for a year and a half. You have no idea how much restraint that requires.

EDIT: caught myself looking at intakes yesterday.

Nice.

I want to get the MS3. I have the sedan version M3 GT. It's nice, so glad I did not get the lancer but did not realize how much I would need to utilize space and how much I would be transporting people and equipment as I do now.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg

those look very much like a saturn, as well as one of there models is the exact same body as the gto (when they had there few years) in 2004 or something))
Very interesting.

Ames

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
those look very much like a saturn, as well as one of there models is the exact same body as the gto (when they had there few years) in 2004 or something))
Very interesting.

Holden has had stuff branded as Vauxhall in the UK and Pontiac in the US; so that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.