Picture previewing on the Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by itisme1760, Dec 29, 2008.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I am a recent Mac user and there is one thing that is bugging me. In Windows, if I wanted to view all the pictures one by one in a folder, I'd just double click and Windows Picture Preview will launch and you can hit the left / right arrow keys to go to the other pictures. In the Mac side, to achieve this, you have to select every picture file for you to be able to hit the right / left arrow keys to advance. You can't just open one picture and have it open everyone in the folder.

Anyone know how I can make this work?

2. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Yes there is an easy solution and it's called "Quicklook". Click on one image then hit the "Quicklook" icon in finder or hit the spacebar on your keyboard to load the "Quicklook" preview. Once the preview window is open, hit the arrow keys to navigate to the next photo.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

+ 1 to that. Quicklook saves me loads of time. Before I'd have to load Word or Preview (not that long, but still) or Excel, etc. Now I can just quickly look at it.

4. ToastyX macrumors regular

Become familiar with the keyboard shortcuts: Command-A to select all, space bar to preview. Then it's quick and easy.

That doesn't work well because when you reach the end of a row, the right arrow key doesn't do anything, and if the image is large enough to cover the Finder window, you can't see which icon is selected.

5. MacMalv macrumors regular

you can also use cover flow, which i find is very useful when looking at pictures.

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Another solution to this is Command+A all the images in the folder and hit Command+O for open and these images will open in Preview with easy navigation and pretty previews of the images on the right aswell.

7. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's just this one stupid annoying little thing that Apple doesn't have over Windows that get's my juices sizzling. The space bar method doesn't work well as it's small and the quality is very poor.

8. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Bottom right corner of the Quick Look window; click and drag to make it bigger.

9. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Quicklook is awesome, but I haven't had Leopard that long so I still most often forget about it and end up previewing things in preview and whatnot.

Speaking of which, someone really needs to invent an '.obj' Quicklook plugin, or generally more 3D software plugins.

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Quicklook is great if you're trying to find a particular picture, not so great if you just wanna look at pictures..
    But a quick Cmd+A and then double click on ANY of the selected photos and Preview will open up with ALL of them in the same window.