Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I have recently bought my first mac. my 11"air is great. However I am not familiar with any of the programs. I need to print a 4x4 picture on a 4x6 picture paper on a hp photosmart. When I had a PC I was unable to do this with the systems photo programs and had to buy elements in order to make the print work. Does the iphoto program allow for such changes or do I need to purchase a different program?

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
You are going to have to be a little more clear about what you are doing. So you have a picture that is 4" by 4" and you want to print it on a 4" by 6" piece of paper (photo paper or whatever)? So do you want to stretch / distort the image so that it will fit in the 4 by 6 aspect ratio or do you want to center it on the paper with 1" margins on both sides? iPhoto would be the program for editing and working with photos. Also preview. Some free photo editing programs for mac (you can google these to download) include GIMP and Seashore which might be what you are looking for.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
You are going to have to be a little more clear about what you are doing. So you have a picture that is 4" by 4" and you want to print it on a 4" by 6" piece of paper (photo paper or whatever)? So do you want to stretch / distort the image so that it will fit in the 4 by 6 aspect ratio or do you want to center it on the paper with 1" margins on both sides? iPhoto would be the program for editing and working with photos. Also preview. Some free photo editing programs for mac (you can google these to download) include GIMP and Seashore which might be what you are looking for.

i do not care about how the position of the picture on the photo paper as I will be cutting off any excess paper anyway. I do not want to stretch or distort the picture. I merely want to reformat it so that I can print a 4inch by 4inch picture. With the known exception the size may have to be slightly different in order to stop distortion. However the ability to reformat the size is what I am looking for.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Really! you mean nobody can answer me on this one?

Come on guys - this is a simple question for many of you. I am sorry I am not familiar with mac photo programs and so I am really relying on responses here before putting the money out on a photo program. I would rather not if i dont have to.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Come on guys - this is a simple question for many of you. I am sorry I am not familiar with mac photo programs and so I am really relying on responses here before putting the money out on a photo program. I would rather not if i dont have to.

Have you tried just printing it and see if you can select the 4x6 photo paper in the printing preferences?

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Have you tried just printing it and see if you can select the 4x6 photo paper in the printing preferences?

Yes of course I have. I would not be asking if I could select the process. I just need to know wether or not I can reformat the photo size from 4x6 to 4x4 while still printing on a 4x6 photo paper. I had to have elements with my PC to do this and I am just trying to find out if iphoto can do something like this.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Yes of course I have. I would not be asking if I could select the process. I just need to know wether or not I can reformat the photo size from 4x6 to 4x4 while still printing on a 4x6 photo paper. I had to have elements with my PC to do this and I am just trying to find out if iphoto can do something like this.

If it didn't turn out correctly, then i guess you'll need to install a photo editing software and pad the image to the sides or something.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
If it didn't turn out correctly, then i guess you'll need to install a photo editing software and pad the image to the sides or something.

I am unable to actually try to print currently with my new Air due to lack of funds for the 100.00 it will cost to refill the ink. What I am looking for is an answer from someone who knows if iphoto can do this. I appreciate the effort, but I do not need for someone to give ideas on what to try, I need for someone who knows the answer to just simply let me know.

EthanMiller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Hello,

iPhoto can do it. You need to go to File > Print, then select the printer you want. From the Paper Size menu, select 4x6. From the Print Size menu, select 4x4. If 4x4 isn't available, select custom and enter 4x4. Should work.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,

iPhoto can do it. You need to go to File > Print, then select the printer you want. From the Paper Size menu, select 4x6. From the Print Size menu, select 4x4. If 4x4 isn't available, select custom and enter 4x4. Should work.

Thank you so much- I appreciate the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.