Picture Quality, SlingBox app vs. EyeTV app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 19, 2010.

?

Slingbox vs EyeTv

Poll closed Dec 17, 2010.
  1. Slingbox

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. EyeTV

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have the SlingBox app on my iPhone 4. The picture quality is okay... at best. Not much better over wifi. I was wondering if the EyeTV is any better. Is there an iPad version?

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

Curious about what Slingbox you are using and how you have it connected, and to what?

I have owned the Sling Solo and now the HD Pro, both produced "HD" looking feeds on my iPhone 3GS and now iPhone 4. On my local network over wifi had a very good/HD picture via the web player on an iMac and although the iPad is pixel doubling the signal it's still a decent picture but I assume that will improve nicely if they ever release a iPad specific app.

I have only tried out the Eye TV box/software for about 2 weeks and while it had a decent picture I just wasn't interested in using their UI and interface vs Slingplayer using my cablebox's menu's etc..

As to your last questions, is there an iPad version... not yet but Sling claimed back in March to be "working on one". They have been pretty slow to market with new players in the few years I have followed their apps.

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Echostar bought sling awhile ago. Echostar was owned by dishnetwork till they split the 2 companies awhile ago. Now this should explain why Sling is taking for ever.

4. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I have both and while I find the Sling Player very usable over 3G, the EyeTV software is iffy even on my local network on my iPhone or iPad....

I have the SOLO sling box not the HD and I noticed the picture is much better over 3G with Non HD channels. This might be your problem.

For mobile use with iPhone/iPad I would not recommend EyeTV