Picture Quality W/ iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tlcon, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tlcon macrumors newbie

Good evening everyone,

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 from the iPhone 5 and I'm noticing that the picture quality is horrible when zoomed in. Everything is extremely pixelated. I know everyone is in awe about how awesome the 6's picture taking skills are and I was wondering if maybe I just have a defective device.

Looking on the phones screen is fine but once you zoom in a little you can tell. It's a lot more apparent in pictures with faces but I'm not sure I can post personal information.

Thank you so much for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Attached Files:

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

It's digital zoom. It's essentially just zooming into to the normal picture (like if you were zooming into a picture on a Mac/PC). Now matter how amazing the quality is you will have pixelation. Only with optical zoom (which is found in dedicated cameras and a few rare phones) will allow you to zoom in with this issue.

3. tlcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response!

Maybe I'm not that savvy but I'm having a little trouble understanding. If I take a picture side by side with the 5, the 5 picture comes out better.

Is the 6's quality good until you zoom to a certain point?

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, the cameras are very different and the zoom level on one may equate to a larger zoom on the other (if you're zooming in the same by just eyeballing the zoom bar when you pinch). Meaning you may be zooming in more on one phone than the other.

Optical zoom is when the lens physically move out of the device toward the target. This magnifies the image with no quality loss. Digital zoom essential captures the same image, it's just literally zooming into one spot. As if you took the picture normally and blew it up later. As for the 5 vs 6 quality, there are a lot of factors (light, hand steadiness, smudged lens) that can affect it, but the iPhone 6's camera is much better than the 5's.

Digital zoom will always result in decreased image quality. How much depends on the camera and other factors.

5. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

My advice is to never use digital zoom as it always destroys pics. Either walk closer to the object or zoom in using a photo editor. That's normally what I do.

6. tlcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Jonny,

I should have clarified- there was no zoom whatsoever in this picture. That's why I was a little confused by the earlier comments. When I mentioned zooming in the original post, I meant when you literally zoom into a picture after you take it to look at the details. Does that make sense?

Everything seems extremely grainy, even if I take a picture without any zoom. I attached another picture I just took right now.
    You can see the fuzziness around the keyboard edging and by the water bottle.

Thank you for your time!

Attached Files:

7. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

I have noticed the EXACT same thing!! I was about to post about this and found this thread. I thought maybe I was just being too picky, or the screen on the 6+ was a little too good for the camera, until I took side by sides with my wife's 5s. There is definitely a noticeable difference. The pictures on the 6+ are by no means terrible, but the 5s has a sharper quality when zoomed in after the fact. I suspect this has to do with the stabilization software included with the new phones, but I am not 100% Video quality is actually TERRIBLE on the phone, I'm about to import them in to FC pro and see how they come out off the small screen.

8. tlcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! I thought I was going crazy for a second. I took it to the Genius Bar and the person helping me did not notice it until I showed him what I meant. Now he said that it was going to bother him until it was fixed.

They had me fill out a form that gets sent to Apple's engineers.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I'm wondering how nobody else is noticing this issue.