Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I'll be the first to admit I'm not totally on top of 4K settings etc lol. Got my 4K ATV and it seems quite grey/dark/washed out. I switch it to 4K HRD 60hz for example, and the whole thing is a lot darker than it used to be, but I switch it to 4K SDR 60Hz and it goes back to being really bright. Is this normal?

I have the Apple suggested HDMI, set at 4K HDR 4:2:2 and I have the enhanced signal format set up for the HDMI port it's in (I've also tried a couple ports to be sure). Just not sure if what I'm seeing is normal or not, because (at least on the menu) the colours are quite dull.

Again, sorry if I'm sounding like a tool lol. Could be totally normal and I'm just used to it the other way, it's just the colours seem quite muted - especially since I can see it all properly just using the TV and using my PS Pro.

Kinda hard to tell what I mean from the photos cause the photo basically turns blue, but maybe these will help.

IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG

Edit: Just tried to watch Netflix, and the same thing. Very, very dark.
[doublepost=1507556430][/doublepost]Some more TV settings, if they help at all...

IMG_0287.jpeg IMG_0284.jpeg IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0286.jpeg

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have noticed this also. I messed around with some picture settings and brightened it up a bit, but I wish there was a better solution. No idea how hard or easy that would be to implement though.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I have noticed this also. I messed around with some picture settings and brightened it up a bit, but I wish there was a better solution. No idea how hard or easy that would be to implement though.

Yeah, the brightness is just that - there's still a lack of colour I'm afraid. I had the same thing with my PS Pro, but I just reset that and it seemed to work. No such luck so far.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I have a Sony Bravia like you. The same thing happens and it's totally normal which is why I leave it set to 4k SDR 60hz whenever I'm viewing SDR content. When I have HDR turned on I have contrast set to max and I turn on live colour and change colour temperature to warm.

On my PS4 Pro when HDR is turned on the Netflix app is unable to automatically switch between HDR and SDR mode and it makes SDR content look dull and washed out. I just manually turn on and off HDR depending on what content I'm watching.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I have a Sony Bravia like you. The same thing happens and it's totally normal which is why I leave it set to 4k SDR 60hz whenever I'm viewing SDR content. When I have HDR turned on I have contrast set to max and I turn on live colour and change colour temperature to warm.

On my PS4 Pro when HDR is turned on the Netflix app is unable to automatically switch between HDR and SDR mode and it makes SDR content look dull and washed out. I just manually turn on and off HDR depending on what content I'm watching.

I just got my Apple TV 4k delivered and also have a Sony Bravia. I haven't watched enough content to comment on HDR mode when viewing content, but the home screen certainly looks much better in SDR mode compared to HDR. Very dark in HDR mode.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I just got my Apple TV 4k delivered and also have a Sony Bravia. I haven't watched enough content to comment on HDR mode when viewing content, but the home screen certainly looks much better in SDR mode compared to HDR. Very dark in HDR mode.

And it’s really hard to get a photo of lol. Every time I try the HDR looks better because the brightness of SDR blows the photo out. Sigh.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
maybe this might help on the latest beta out today

New

• Increased on-screen UI brightness for HDR output.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yeah, the brightness is just that - there's still a lack of colour I'm afraid. I had the same thing with my PS Pro, but I just reset that and it seemed to work. No such luck so far.
You also seem to be still on Android TV 6, Marshmallow. Do you have Android 7 Nougat available for your model already??
PS to get a decent photo, you need a camera with manual settings, so that exposure will not automatically be adjusted to changed screen brightness.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
maybe this might help on the latest beta out today

New

• Increased on-screen UI brightness for HDR output.

I just installed it. It looks much better :)

Hopefully this helps me too! Thanks.

You also seem to be still on Android TV 6, Marshmallow. Do you have Android 7 Nougat available for your model already??
PS to get a decent photo, you need a camera with manual settings, so that exposure will not automatically be adjusted to changed screen brightness.

Sadly not, still stuck on 6. "Sometime between now and Feb 2018", apparently. Useless lol.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Keep in mind an HDR image has the capacity of appearing darker overall compared to SDR. Same can be said about brighter.

Not the case hear but you can see from this image of why HDR can look darker and why its not always a problem.

ujq4jw3sqltj3xklpher.jpg

Sitting in front of TV with both of those images the second will appear noticeably darker.

I would start with HDR VIDEO setting, HDMI range Full, and Format Enhanced.

Than find a brightness calibration for tool to display on the screen and in the room with normal ambient lighting adjust the brightness (not backlight) accordingly. Once that done if it still feels too dark look for dynamic contrast and other contrast settings.

Just to point out taking a picture of the TV doesn't help much because the white balanced changed (look at the wall color) and the photo is washed out (look at the AppleTV on the table).

Regardless, with the right settings you should be able to get an HDR image to look better.

Reactions: Menel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.