Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
OP, you're probably on twitter and Facebook, correct? With the security issues those two sites have I think you have more to worry about than if jimbo is planning on camping out in your front yard.

I do know that Facebook removes the EXIF information from the files when they are uploaded; at least they are doing something right.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Parents might care where their kid took pictures.

Estranged couples might not want the other one to know, either.

Plenty of reasons for a user to want to hide location info.

true indeed. but, for the most part, people can figure things out without exif data... there is very little privacy anymore...

if any...

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Camera asks you if you want to allow it to use your location information the first time you launch it

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Also how can I check pictures that I have already uploaded to Twitpic don't have my location in the pic info.

IMO it seem like Tweetpic would be the place to ask that question.

Since you already know it's called EXIF data I question why are you're really asking. It's not that hard to make the jump to google the term "remove exif".

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you upload a smaller version (say email), then it doesn't have the location.

Or just turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
IMO it seem like Tweetpic would be the place to ask that question.

Since you already know it's called EXIF data I question why are you're really asking. It's not that hard to make the jump to google the term "remove exif".

I'm glad he posted. I learned a few things.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
In my tests, I found that photos uploaded to Picasa and Facebook were stripped of their EXIF data, so when I tried to save them back on my computer, the EXIF data was gone. Now though ,Facebook even uses something new for their photo viewing pop up window, so there is no open when you right click to Save the photo locally.

I think a lot of people are making mountains out of mole hills, but it would definitely be interesting to get a list of sites that are stripping the data out, and those that aren't. I'm sure with all the media attention, more sites will be rushing to remove this data from the pictures.

I see no issue with people knowing where I was when the photos were taken, but I can understand a parent who might be worried about a creepy child molester stalking their kids online...

And for those who are ultra paranoid... there's a site for that.

http://onlineexifremover.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.