Pictures are automatically added to new computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mloffa, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Okay. This is the weirdest thing and it happens every time I set up a new mac.

It started with my Macbook Pro.
    Brand new computer...I turn it on, set up some stuff (ichat, mail, itunes, etc) and BAM there are a whole bunch (close to 500) pictures of mine that have been on my iMac.
    These weren't backed up anywhere that I know of (I don't have an external harddrive so I know it's not on Time Machine or anything.)
    I didn't think much of it then.
    I actually thought it was good so I didn't have to transfer them over.

Then I got the 11in Macbook Air a week or so ago.
    SAME THING HAPPENED.
    500 pictures just show up in my "All Images."

I returned the 11in and got the 13in and I just noticed now..
    ALL the pictures are there.

Where are they coming from?
    I really, really don't want them.
    I keep deleting them everytime I get a new computer and it's getting annoying.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As "All Images" is a so-called Smart Folder looking for all images on your Mac and devices connected to it, it might be, that these images come with the applications you install. If you delete via such a Smart Folder, you might cause havoc. Maybe you just take a look at a couple of images and their locations and compare them with any other Mac you might have.

Again, "All Images" is a search result, not an actual location or folder. Don't mess with files shown that way, unless you really know what you are doing and know what these images belong to.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I get what you're saying BUT why would a picture of me from 2007 be from an application?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you checked the location then? And if you still have an older Mac, which has the same picture, check there too.
    Either use the Path Bar or right click on the file and choose "Open Enclosing Folder" (+ Path Bar or any other method to find out the location of that folder).

I currently don't have two Macs connected via network to prove my theory, that also images from a networked computer are shown.

5. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

So I already deleted the picture but I have a bunch of documents and videos that came the same way too.
    I guess they game from my email?

[​IMG]

Just to be clear, these aren't taking up any space on my computer right?
    Also, how can I get rid of them permanently?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Should have guessed. :eek:

And the pictures take space, otherwise they wouldn't show up. Are they that big and you have such a small SSD, that storing them on your MBA would be filling up your Mac that much? What about deleting the message or checking here:
    [​IMG]

7. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Dude, you are a life saver!
    How do you know everything about everything mac? :D