pictures browsing with def. Mac pic viewer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elrafo, Feb 22, 2008.

1. elrafo macrumors member

Hello,

me again ;)
    I try to press the next or previous button (corner up left) on this software but I am sticked with the opened picture. I can't even use any shortcut on the keyboard, seems like there is a bug with this application!

is is a known issue ?

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

This is less an issue, than a feature of Preview...ok, we could discuss this ;)

Anyway, Preview takes the current selection from Finder and opens it up. So if you want to view all the pictures of a folder with Preview, select them all (shortcut: command-A) and then open them with Preview.
    Doing so, will make the Previous and Next buttons "work".

Option #1: Since you are on Leopard, you could just click the first picture, invoke QuickLook (shortcut: space bar) and then use the arrow keys to advance to the next pictures. QuickLook displays, what's currently selected in Finder.

Option #2: Use the freeware Xee, which you can find here. It offers the behavior, you were expecting from Preview.

How I use it: To simply browse a directory of images, I prefer Xee. To show someone a selection of images, I use Preview.

Hope that was helpful.
    /Rupert

3. elrafo thread starter macrumors member

4. wildmilne macrumors regular

sorry to wake this up from the dead...but i notice quicklook will not go forward/back in pics if you full screen it...how can an OS so "easy" as mac not have something as simple as a full screen picture browser that i can go next/back and delete? Or am i just not understanding what apps i have?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Select all the files you want to view and press Command Option Y. Then you can move backwards and forwards.

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Select a photos in the folder, command a to select them all. Put curser over the first one > Space bar for quicklook > select full screen option on the bottom of the window > use arrows to change or play slideshow.. There is no delete with quick look.

To have a delete option use Preview. Select all the photos in the folder command a. Double click to open the group in Preview > Use tool bar arrows to run through the photos > command delete the ones you do not want.
    No delete option with slideshow.
    S.

7. wildmilne macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah, its just a little more forward thought then im used to having to do to quickly look at some pics...or more likely show someone some pics. Normally i just open a pic, if i feel like seeing more (including full screen) i just start arrowing forward or backward. I wonder why you can do it like then when its not fullscreen (aka slideshow) but if you go full screen with a pic you can no longer move forward and backward...unless you do as you said and preselected a group to view