Pictures file in Mac not as inituitive as in PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by novetan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

When I used PC and saving pictures in folders, I still can see the thumb nail if iamge is jpg. If it is PSD, I will not see any image but just the blue icon. That is good because it is easily distinguish between jpg and PSD.

But now I switch to Mac, I realised the downside as follows:

1) can't see pictures in thumbnail when pictures are saved in folders
    2) image saved in PSD also appears as pictures making so hard to distinguish from jpg as all becomes pictures. Only the extension name differs.
    3) When go to "show view option">uncheck "show icon preview", the psd will become a blue icon without the image (that is what I wanted) but however, jpg pictures becomes hidden.

I thought Mac is more inituitive but apperantly not so. There should be an option as follows:

Is there a way or have I missed it>

and when I saved the pictures in folders, I caanot see the thumbnail. When I go to show view option>

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use ICON VIEW (CMD+1) to view the thumbnails, it then shows the file suffix (.psd) to distinguish between different file types.

I can't help you with the last part of your post, as it seems to be missing something.

Btw, Mac is short for Macintosh and is nowadays used to refer to computers Mac OS X. PC is short for Personal Computer and is often used for referring to computers running Windows, though it is not really correct as even Macs are just PCs.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

PS: I don't know, what you meant with intuitive though, as that Windows behaviour is not intuitive for me, it just seems, it is the behaviour you are used to. And adding something again: You didn't see a thumbnail of the PSD, because it hasn't been properly implemented into your Windows installation. As Mac OS X has a history with the graphics media, it kind of has to deliver on the part of showing thumbnail previews in Icon View.

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

One of these is a PNG, one is a PSD. Find the PSD...
    [​IMG]

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

When I switched, I actually found the native thumbnail rendering for PSDs a plus.

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

So did I, but I was just giving an example of when it could become a problem.

I just color-label files, or append a ‘- PSD’ to the end.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, sorry about that, I reread your post and got it now. I used to do the color-label thing, then my OCD took over and made a subfolder for my PSDs. Made my life so much easier, then I got an external RAID set up and I store my PSDs there.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I also create sub-folders for things like PSD’s. I color all files alphabetically now, but only the folders that I use. For example, the System folder isn’t colored. It looks nice and makes my life a little easier.

(Click It)
    [​IMG]

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about file extensions? Just because some Windows "un"feature does work as a feature in Mac OS X, one can't change the displaying of information.

[​IMG]

Btw, I use the middle right option to display the information relevant to me.

9. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I was simply showing an example. And showing file extensions, in my opinion, can look ugly and unorganized.

I can see where the thread starter is coming from, but if you see my post above, I organized and don’t need to show file extensions. From his point of view, I would think there would at least be PSD overlaid over the PSD thumbnail picture, PNG over the PNG, etc.

10. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

You will never see a thumbnail for a PSD file in window. Same as tiff. I can easily zero into the PSd file so quickly without having to scroll slowly checking file extension. For every PSD file, I'd have a jpg beside it for recognising.

Some may prefer to see PSD in image but I find it confusing. Ok, that's me. Its too bad that Mac offer otherwise.