Pictures folder is gone ..help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Sep 17, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I've made a mistake and inadvertently dumped my pictures folder ..gone , in a puff of smoke !.
    Is there any way to restore it and the contents ?

thanks
    m

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Where was the folder located? By "puff of smoke", do you mean it was in the Dock? If so, then no worries. Items in the Dock are 'aliases' of the real thing. Pictures folder is usually located at Finder > Computer > UserName > Pictures.

Perhaps another way to try and find your lost folder is to use Spotlight and type in Pictures or Pics (whatever you called the folder).

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

A better bet is that it was the alias in his Finder Sidebar. Same solution applies though...navigate to your home directory, and then drag the "Pictures" folder from there back to the Sidebar in your Finder window.

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

It did disappear by a puff of smoke but not from the Dock ,unfortunately it was from a Finder window :eek: .
    I can find all the pics in finder by typing .jpg .
    What is really bugging me is how to put back the icon for 'Pictures' back into the Finder window as it should be.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So was it the Finder Sidebar like I suggested? Sounds like it, as that's the only place it would disappear from in a Finder window in a puff of smoke.

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Glad you've got the pics back.

Do you mean "icon", or folder. If it's the folder, simply drag it from its original location to the lower section of the side bar of the Finder window.

If the icon of the picture folder has gone, you'll need to re-do it before you put the folder back in the Finder. Did you have a custom icon?

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Correct , it was the Finder sidebar...don't I feel silly :)

thanks, me too :)

It is the Icon

I'm not sure how I could reinstate the icon to it's original location so I can access my photo's from it ,

It is just the standard OSX icon for the Pictures folder in the sidebar of a Finder window.

8. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Fired up the ol' girl and guess what ?...Pictures folder has gone again!
    ...I'm struggling to find out what this is

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

See this video I made: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pviljaka/finder_pictures.mov
    Hows its differend / difficult for you ?
    The left sidebar's "Pictures" points to folder "Pictures" in your home directorys(house icon) root. You should see the folder "Pictures" folder, just drag it like in the video I made.

11. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Hopefully a workaround for you. I replicated what you'd done previously ie. dragged the OS X Pictures folder to the Finder side pane. It showed the Picture icon, *not* a folder icon.

So, in User, I created a new folder which I named PicturesHV. I dragged that to the Finder side pane. There sits a nice folder icon (currently empty) into which I could drag all the pics from the original OS X Pictures folder if I wished.

I shall now reboot and update this post if it works (or not).

Update: yes, that folder named PicturesHV is still in the side pane. Another thought - try duplicating (Command-D) the original OS X Pictures folder and then drag the duplicate to the Finder side pane. That may work.

12. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

That's very well-done! You could also show the R-click "Remove from Sidebar" option.

13. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I appreciate everyone helping me , such a simple task to accomplish yet I forgot /couldn't do it ..I think I need to see the doc.

no , but I have now , thank you

brilliant video , shows how to exactly ...thank you

thank you

:)