Pictures in Mavericks smoothend vs Windows?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by freeuser, Jun 30, 2014.

1. freeuser macrumors regular

I have noticed, their is a slight smoothening effect in Mavericks/Lightroom 5 vs. Lightroom 5 in Windows 8.1 and the Preview of the Systems. In Windows it seem to be, that I can see the noise of the same picture better/sharper than in Mavericks. Systems on an iMac 12,2; Mav 10.9.3, all updates and Win 8.1, all updates too. Do you noticed such a effect too? Is the general calibration of OS X that much of a difference to Windows?

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I can't remember what its called but you can google it. The color on a Mac vs a PC has always been different. RGB is different. Each user on a Mac have the option of calibrating it to whatever specs they like. What I've noticed on my MBP is that the backlighting changes if you are sitting in a room with natural light or a lamp. What I was told that it really matters when it comes to printing. Most of the print shops that I go to use a PC, so I will bump up the exposure in LR a little. Do a couple in house test prints to see if I like it. Then take a copy on disc to print.

But yes you are correct. The OS on a Mac is more fluid. Very artsy fartsy. lol

3. nitromac macrumors 6502

The two OS just use different algorithms for font smoothing and I'm assuming that carries over to preview smoothing as well. If you view your photos full-size (100%) there should be no difference whatsoever between Mac and Windows, but if you shrink them you will likely see smoothing.