Pictures missing after ios 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gadgetgirl85, Aug 9, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

My friend has an iphone 4 and ipad 3 I think which havent been updated in yonks. When she bought a mb air at apple yesterday I used their wireless to upgrade her to ios u. When the ipad was finished the guy set her up on icloud. Now the same photos are on both ipad and iphone. What could have happened? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If I understand correctly there are supposed to be different pictures on each device so one set is missing.

What happened is both devices are using the same iCloud account and both have the same pictures from that account. One of the devices was either using a different iCloud account or none at all. If not a different iCloud account then hopefully the missing pictures are backed up somewhere.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ohh joy. No backup. Both were not using iCloud. Then the person at Apple set up iCloud on their iPad. So I"m assuming the iPhone pics were wiped and the ones from iPad went over?

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's still a little confusing because setting up iCloud does not erase the photos already on the device (but it's been so long since I've done that I should probably look it up). Doing an OTA iOS upgrade also shouldn't cause the pictures to disappear, but it can if there is a problem with the upgrade.

I know, a lot of "shouldn'ts" but they disappeared. Could it be as simple as the camera roll is in the "My Photo Stream" album and not the camera roll of photos on the camera?

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

That could be it. I'll get her to check - I was feeling frazzled when I was at the Apple Store LOL. I don't think there were issues with the upgrade because all contacts, apps, ringtones came over etc. That would suggest there wasn't a problem with the upgrade wouldn't it?

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

lol - Actually, it took me quite a while to get used to the way iOS 7 manages photos. Not sure how much of an upgrade you did.

Photos are one of those things that have historically been occasionally problematic with upgrades. Everything else would be fine and photos go *poof*. Maybe a little digging around in the forum to see if anyone who did the same version -> version update you did had any problems with photos? I hope they are simply hiding somewhere. :)