Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a MBP SR and no overheating issues. But looking at the before picture I think even a good pst job is going to look bad when you pull it apart. I think if someone suspects a problem they should take it to the manufacture for a repair.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
My understanding is that the fans were running at 2000 rpm the entire time. At idle, under full load, pre-mod, and post-mod. Then, after all that, the user raised the rpm using SMCFancontrol, because he wants his MBP to run with higher fan rpm. His "lowest setting" is the 2000 rpm, which is the default fan speed for the SR MBP. The SR MBP I tested in-store also had the fans running at 2000 rpm regardless of load.

Thanks Chem I appreciate the clarification. Basically this means that the OP did achieve a measurable change to the temperature, quite impressive. This will be something to watch for in the new MBP as they are delivered.

Sopranino

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I have a MBP SR and no overheating issues. But looking at the before picture I think even a good pst job is going to look bad when you pull it apart. I think if someone suspects a problem they should take it to the manufacture for a repair.

Glad to hear you have no overheating issues. Could you install the istat widget and report back your CPU temp under full dual core load (perhaps by looping a few hi-res QT vids?)?

Re: the good thermal paste job looking bad when you pull it apart. Not really. I can speak from experience on this, having built literally dozens of PCs for home and lab. It only looks like crap (as in the pics) if you apply both too much, and then don't smooth it properly. I've seen this when replacing CPUs in existing machines (you often have to take off the heat sink first, in Athlon64 installs). There was way too much coming out the sides in those pics, and the remaining paste on the CPU was too uneven.

Lastly, agreed about taking it back to the manufacturer and complaining. Most people should not attempt to redo their own thermal paste job. This is Apple's job to fix.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
I'd be willing to bet that if its readily visible that you opened the computer, even to just look around, the Apple service person would say that you voided the warranty under Section 1.b.ii of the AppleCare Terms of Service.
They put all sorts of things in EULAs these days and something beeing in there doesn't mean it's legal or enforcable. That's not to say I have the time to bother with Apple in court over their terms of service.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Glad to hear you have no overheating issues. Could you install the istat widget and report back your CPU temp under full dual core load (perhaps by looping a few hi-res QT vids?)?

My temp reading is 55 to 60 running system load and 4 other apps CPU's pretty maxed out fans run about 2000 rpm

onejed1

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I've installed Vista and Battlefield 2 on my new MacBook Pro and it's frozen twice, and I'm pretty sure the problem is overheating. It was VERY hot underneath while I was playing but I didn't actually think it would crash. But it did. I don't know if it's a defect of the laptop or if I just had the settings on too high. But if I did, shouldn't it just take a performance hit, as opposed to staying at full speed and then just crashing when it overheats?

My MBP SR is running at the same temps on average that people are posting here, but I really don't think i'm having any problems with the heat. I did notice though, that CoD2 crashes soon after you load a level, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the video card drivers or so (seems that many apps dont support the card yet) because the soldiers' body textures don't even load up. I get a kernel panic about 10 seconds after the level loads. Again, i really don't think it's heat. In my case anyway.

Another app that doesn't seem to support the card yet is OmniDazzle from the Omni Group.

A little off topic, i know, but i don't think we should be attributing all the problems to heat just yet.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I am very aware of Apple's extremely poor thermal paste application.

When I first got my MBP, it was running quite hot(65C just surfing the web). Well I am not taking my MBP apart untill warranty is over so and I couldn't afford not having it while they fixed it. So i toughed it out.

Low and behold, my patience pays off. Just like my warped screen that straightened itself out. My MBP now runst at 50C with Safari, itunes, MSN, Mail and a bunch of other applications open. It runs at 64C when i play World of Warcraft.

I would recommend waiting a little for the paste to settle for people not experiencing extreme heat on their machines like I had. Anything more then that would necessitate reapplication of thermal paste in my opinion. These machines are well designed and work like porsches when they are assembled and built properly. I have opened up a 1st gen MBP and several MB and the cooling design from an engineering point of view is 1st class.

eb3604

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2007
Every laptop my brothers parents or me have owned has had poor thermal paste application. Dells, compaq, Sony, IBM. It's across the board

o and if you want to do this lil diy mod. get some arctic silver5 and 91% rubbing alcohol. and some q tips.

I was just thinking. Pretty much all thermal paste has a curing time of 1-2 weeks around 200 hours. Yes I agree looking at the pictures, there is way to much paste on the chips, but give it some time. Temps may/should get better. Leave your mbp on during the day and turn it off at night.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Edit: Actually, you don't even have to look it up.

Thanks for posting that. :)

Like I said, follow the take-apart directions and be careful. Also make sure you use the proper tools -- don't try to cheat with an incorrect size phillips screwdriver for example. And if you doubt yourself, don't do it!

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA
My MBP SR is running at the same temps on average that people are posting here, but I really don't think i'm having any problems with the heat. I did notice though, that CoD2 crashes soon after you load a level, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the video card drivers or so (seems that many apps dont support the card yet) because the soldiers' body textures don't even load up. I get a kernel panic about 10 seconds after the level loads. Again, i really don't think it's heat. In my case anyway.

Another app that doesn't seem to support the card yet is OmniDazzle from the Omni Group.

A little off topic, i know, but i don't think we should be attributing all the problems to heat just yet.

But Battlefield 2 worked just fine other than when it crashed. The textures loaded just fine (it looked fantastic, in fact. At one point I was playing with every single setting at its highest and it was smooth. But when I played online with other people, I had to turn down the settings a little). I'm pretty sure my computer crashed from the heat. Either way, it's been twice now that it's crashed and I am going to call AppleCare and find out what the heck is going on...

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if you want to see if you have this problem, there is no need to open the computer. Just look through the rear vents with a light and you will see thermal paste oozing out between the heatsinks.

if you see stuff oozing out, thats already way too much thermal paste.

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
if you want to see if you have this problem, there is no need to open the computer. Just look through the rear vents with a light and you will see thermal paste oozing out between the heatsinks.

if you see stuff oozing out, thats already way too much thermal paste.

That's an interesting tip. I will have to check that in-store SR MBP and see if this tip works. Thanks!

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA
That's an interesting tip. I will have to check that in-store SR MBP and see if this tip works. Thanks!

*Pictures chem in an Apple store, crouched down with a keychain LED flashlight, peering into the back of a display MBP as sales reps watch, bewildered*

*Laughs hard* :D

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Oh, OK. I'm assuming yellow stickers he's referring to are for warranty purposes. How many did he have to remove and why couldn't he just put them back?

I'm wondering about another thing. It keeps reporting the bottom of the enclosure at 36 C (which is the normal body temperature) but it definitely feels a fair bit warmer than that (I'd say ~45). If anyone could take a measurement with one of those IR temperature sensors, it'd be great.

It's yellow tape to hold down wires. It has nothing to do with the warranty.

There's probably 4 or 5 pieces of tape in there, if it's anything like the CD machines.

robvia

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Great thread.

In the picture after the paste was applied, the person spread it evenly all over the chip. I've heard that putting a single dot in the center of the chip and letting it spread out is the better thing to do. The pressure from the heat sink makes the dot spread evenly in a circle.

What does everyone think of this?
Spread the paste all over the chip, or use the single dot method?

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
What does everyone think of this?
Spread the paste all over the chip, or use the single dot method?

From my experience building desktop machines, I find that using a razor blade to create an extremely thin layer across the entire top of the CPU's heat spreader (top of the chip) works well. The safest procedure is simply to follow whatever instructions come with your thermal paste. Check the product's manual or website.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
What is the most relavent temperature? The CPU? What is considered a good temperature under light load conditions? My CPU is running at 47C with light load and fan RPM at 2000.

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA
What is the most relavent temperature? The CPU? What is considered a good temperature under light load conditions? Thanks,.

These are my questions exactly. I've pretty much been just looking at CPU A (which is now at 48C) and comparing my temperature to others' based on that. I don't know if this is the correct reading to be looking at. The GPU is a little warmer, and the Enclosure Bottom is usually considerably cooler.

chem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
What is the most relavent temperature? The CPU? What is considered a good temperature under light load conditions? My CPU is running at 47C with light load and fan RPM at 2000.

You should look at the CPU temperature under full (100%) CPU load. After it's been at that load level for a few minutes. Easily accomplished by looping several hi-res quicktime videos. You can use the istat or istat pro dashboard widget to monitor this.

If this CPU temp is 80 degrees Celsius or above, something is wrong. The system may be working fine, but it should be running cooler.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Sälen;3771200 said:
I tried CPUtest on my new MBP and got 90degress Celsius after just some minutes. That cant be good!
Should i contact apple so they can fix my thermal paste?

Yowch!!! Yes, definitely. Get it fixed!
Although it probably won't damage the CPU, it will probably cause the CPU to lower its clock speed to try and cool down, therefore making your computer slower!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Tried the CPU test on my C2D non SR MBP and temp never exceeded 87C before the fans kicked it.....lowering it to 74C max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.