Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
A macro photo of a leaf in Night Mode:

7692FF6E-6EA0-466F-9C8A-85E1D34F6C5E.jpeg

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Just a shot in Pro Raw I got of the downtown area coming from a friend's social gathering tonight. Got a few more during my travels during the day too. Loving the new camera!!

It’s really strange to zoom in on an iPhone photo like yours and see a ton more detail when intuition from years of taking 12MP photos makes you think everything will be blurry.

The Halide team uploaded this today to demonstrate the resolution of an iPhone 14 Pro display relative to a 12MP and 48MP image. Really puts into perspective how much more you can zoom in/crop:

21947EAD-556E-48B6-BA52-B4ECF51D6D54.jpeg

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Yeh the ProRAW files are fabulous, allows

High efficiency will save the normal photos as HEIF, most compatible will save as JPEG, this option don’t alter the RAW shots at all, if you shoot in RAW the file will say RAW
Ok so it’s a matter of -
Shoot raw and save as heif if you want full control of editing yourself to get that perfect jpg, (especially if you anticipate like blown skies and dark shadows)

OR
Shoot raw and save as jpg if you trust the iPhone processing to do it right and take that raw image straight to the jpg version for you. (iPhone engine is pretty darn smart these days). And get a jpg you probably will like (one more edit not being a deal breaker to re-save that jpg ..but you might not get those blown highlights etc)

OR
if your images are turning out good enough for casual online sharing, just toggle that raw off and get your basic jpg and save some room with smaller size files.

Did it finally get through my brain correctly ??
If you shoot in raw it WAS a raw at first no matter which and will say so, but in “most compatible” that jpg file you get isn’t a raw file anymore, it’s compressed/processed to that jpg state…and you can’t go back and edit it exactly the same as your heif in the first option.

Thank you

Bro KV

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
My two dachshunds, who have been in the picture threads previously, both passed away in July. One to cancer and the other to spinal failure, a week apart. Love to see everyone’s animals in this thread, makes me smile.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Ok so it’s a matter of -
Shoot raw and save as heif if you want full control of editing yourself to get that perfect jpg, (especially if you anticipate like blown skies and dark shadows)

OR
Shoot raw and save as jpg if you trust the iPhone processing to do it right and take that raw image straight to the jpg version for you. (iPhone engine is pretty darn smart these days). And get a jpg you probably will like (one more edit not being a deal breaker to re-save that jpg ..but you might not get those blown highlights etc)

OR
if your images are turning out good enough for casual online sharing, just toggle that raw off and get your basic jpg and save some room with smaller size files.

Did it finally get through my brain correctly ??
If you shoot in raw it WAS a raw at first no matter which and will say so, but in “most compatible” that jpg file you get isn’t a raw file anymore, it’s compressed/processed to that jpg state…and you can’t go back and edit it exactly the same as your heif in the first option.

Thank you
No, RAW is RAW, no jpeg or HEIF involved when shooting RAW, if you want to save space with RAW files then you need to convert to jpeg/HEIF yourself, keep in mind also only the main sensor shoots in 48mpx.

Everyday shots you take for upload to Facebook etc I’d leave RAW off as it just uses memory, If you plan on editing or printing then I’d use RAW.

Adam.

Reactions: bevsb2 and Laryl

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
No, RAW is RAW, no jpeg or HEIF involved when shooting RAW, if you want to save space with RAW files then you need to convert to jpeg/HEIF yourself, keep in mind also only the main sensor shoots in 48mpx.

Everyday shots you take for upload to Facebook etc I’d leave RAW off as it just uses memory, If you plan on editing or printing then I’d use RAW.

Adam.
Ok yes raw is raw when you shoot it but, once it’s processed (as it’s taken) and converted and saved and given to us as a jpg in the “most compatible” mode that’s where I’m thinking it’s no longer an heif editable raw file. It’s a saved as jpg.

So I’m asking myself which to choose…
If I shoot in raw or not, I still have to choose in settings, that format and that’s what’s tripping me up.
High efficiency or most compatible is tripping me up and it’s frustrating the heck out of me

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Ok yes raw is raw when you shoot it but, once it’s processed (as it’s taken) and converted and saved and given to us as a jpg in the “most compatible” mode that’s where I’m thinking it’s no longer an heif editable raw file. It’s a saved as jpg.

So I’m asking myself which to choose…
If I shoot in raw or not, I still have to choose in settings, that format and that’s what’s tripping me up.
High efficiency or most compatible is tripping me up and it’s frustrating the heck out of me
If you shoot RAW it simply saves as RAW, the most compatible and high efficiency toggle only apply to non RAW photos (when RAW is off), RAW is a totally different file to JPEG/HEIF.

When shooting non RAW it’s up to you what to save in (most compatible -JPEG and high efficiency - HEIF) it won’t effect RAW shots, if you press the “i” below each photo in photos it shows what format it’s saved in.

FD0914D4-235E-42AD-A090-B9FB71E48F16.jpeg

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
If you shoot RAW it simply saves as RAW, the most compatible and high efficiency toggle only apply to non RAW photos (when RAW is off), RAW is a totally different file to JPEG/HEIF.

When shooting non RAW it’s up to you what to save in (most compatible -JPEG and high efficiency - HEIF) it won’t effect RAW shots, if you press the “i” below each photo in photos it shows what format it’s saved in.

View attachment 2070532
OMG I think you just put me out of my misery!! Thank you. Well partly. I still have a question but let me sink this in

kiv.atso

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
Upgraded from 12 Pro to 14 Pro.

Honestly, I don’t see much difference in image details/sharpness. Neither in daylight or lowlight. I’d say I see more detail in my 12 Pro lowlight images.

In high contrast situations my 14 Pro overexposes highlights unless I adjust manually (12 Pro does better job automatically). Natural bokeh looks better because of much larger sensor size. And lowlight images do have a bit less noise.

14 Pro pushes ISO higher than 12 Pro in the same lowlight conditions (eg 1000 vs 640/800) with similar default settings, no filters.

In general, I’m not very impressed… I expected more improvement over 12 Pro (didn’t test video because I’m not using it much).

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
This is a great thread…. Does anyone have both an iPhone 14 pro and an iPhone 12 pro and can upload some comparison pics?

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Just a shot in Pro Raw I got of the downtown area coming from a friend's social gathering tonight. Got a few more during my travels during the day too. Loving the new camera!!

I am impressed wha tour new cameras can do very impressive picture so much detail and color in a nightime photo.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
One of things I am seeing in comparison photos are differences in the 13 Pro vs 14 Pro when taking sunset/rise photos. I am always fiddling on my 13 ProMax to get colors to what my eye sees and sometimes can approximate but never satisfied. Images I saw comparing make me think my new 14 ProMax will do better. I have yet to ge spectacular sunrise/set opportunities in just two days but the bit of color (usually need some clouds) is looking hopeful. Here are some sunrise photos with some colors and they were darn close to what my eyes see.

E3B0457B-5700-4DCD-A612-C4A735513AB4.jpeg
76B9953A-863A-4DD0-A978-DBEBA0A3FB9D.jpeg
24054D89-E608-455A-845D-4476212AA97D.jpeg
016F27AE-D321-4911-95FF-1F6E1DDAF401.jpeg
276A109F-D0C2-4547-8F96-BC97426ED4BA.jpeg
8E7E7944-6C09-448E-A768-31FEF6C79689.jpeg

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
It‘s funny: some photos look like they were taken with an iPhone 6s and only some look significantly better. I guess not everyone is a „Pro“ 😂 including me.

• Haha
Reactions: em245

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Did a few shots in the slowly lightening sunrise (with clouds see last photos I shared) of flower garden and house. Impressive photos for my tastes, and colors. Did a 48 megapixel one also (too big to load here of course and have not ever used iCloud sharing I see folks doing since never had photos too large. For me this is an improvement over my 13 ProMax so it was worth upgrading agai on iUP!

CB130364-E074-4DA7-9011-87FAB400C08F.jpeg
FA2B4D6D-9C66-4146-9EFE-C0EEB03C6ADB.jpeg
2771549C-65EF-4A40-92FF-1A67E2F48744.jpeg

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Upgraded from 12 Pro to 14 Pro.

Honestly, I don’t see much difference in image details/sharpness. Neither in daylight or lowlight. I’d say I see more detail in my 12 Pro lowlight images.

In high contrast situations my 14 Pro overexposes highlights unless I adjust manually (12 Pro does better job automatically). Natural bokeh looks better because of much larger sensor size. And lowlight images do have a bit less noise.

14 Pro pushes ISO higher than 12 Pro in the same lowlight conditions (eg 1000 vs 640/800) with similar default settings, no filters.

In general, I’m not very impressed… I expected more improvement over 12 Pro (didn’t test video because I’m not using it much).

Similar upgrade but the max versions of both.

Big upgrade with the ultra wide, a lot more detail and sharpness.

Wide camera really shines in raw or close up shots (due to the increased natural dof) but i agree, standard outdoor shot, in jpg, there’s very little difference.

Tele is a mixed bag imo, the focal length makes more sense but i feel it’s the weakness lens optically, I’m guessing it’ll get upgraded next year.

I think unless you’re editing and really into photography, you won’t notice the upgrades in every day use.

Reactions: anticipate

atari4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
Did a few shots in the slowly lightening sunrise (with clouds see last photos I shared) of flower garden and house. Impressive photos for my tastes, and colors. Did a 48 megapixel one also (too big to load here of course and have not ever used iCloud sharing I see folks doing since never had photos too large. For me this is an improvement over my 13 ProMax so it was worth upgrading agai on iUP!

Thank you Santa!

• Love
Reactions: rjjacobson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.