Piece fell off Mac Pro (early 2009)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ctnguye3, May 28, 2009.

1. ctnguye3 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I have a question, while pulling out my HD Bay 4 on my Mac Pro (2009) a small little metal piece fell off. I looked everywhere and can't seem to find where it was originally attached to. :confused: Can anyone help me. Picture is below. Thanks (BTW, everything still works fine).

Attached Files:

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What are its dimensions, please?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure that's the flux capacitor. It shouldn't have been removed nor should it have just fallen off.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well it looks just like the Flux Capacitor but it's really a part from Apple support. When they have an emergency they place that over a search light and shine it on the cloud layer above. Soon after Steven Jobs arrives clandestinely.

But all seriousness aside, it looks like a tension-clip of some kind. HD Bay huh? There's not another one like this in any of the other bays?

5. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a ruler with me, but its about 1.4 inches long. Should I be worry? Do you know where its suppose to attach to? Thanks

6. ventro macrumors 6502a

Oh my god. Without that piece the Mac pro will create an unbounded singularity, which will lead to the evolution of a black hole. We're all doomed!

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I do not personally think it is an important piece; I have no clue what it is. However, if it fell out of a drive bay, then best thing to do is not use that drive bay and attempt to find out if that part really is necessary for a hard drive to be mounted in there without decreasing its lifespan.

8. greedyhands macrumors member

I wonder if it got in there by mistake in the first place. Wouldn't that be interesting

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

10. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

The Mac Pro was a customize order so it may have got in there by accident when Apple installed the parts (I hope).

I've never open the 4th Bay until today when that piece fell out and none of the other bays had a piece similar to the one I found. I'll try to go to the Apple store sometime this week and ask them about it, hopefully its nothing serious.

11. greedyhands macrumors member

Let us know what they say. That's a pretty interesting situation.

12. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

If it's made of plastic it's not a conductive part and does therefore not influence the function of the electronics... And if every fan and every drive are still firmly fixed in their original positions, I would say there is nothing to worry about

13. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

It was put there for added value. They ran out of excuses for raising the price. :p