Piece of lint stuck inside iMac screen (UPDATE, dead pixel)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Freshmen, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Freshmen, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Freshmen macrumors member

Freshmen

i think have a general idea of how it happened. I was taking my iMac to the apple store for something, put it in my trunk with a bag over, i think when i was turning or something i turned too hard and it slipped out of the bag and the screen rubbed against the trunk and thats how it happened

Its really bothering me, I'm OCD about stuff like this and i dont know what to do.

there was originally two pieces of lint, one small one thats gotten smaller as the day has gone by, and the bigger one which sticks out a lot is the same size. Should i just wait it out for a couple of days and see what happens?

i still can't believe something like this would happen. If what i think didn't happen, then i have no idea how something like this could've happened

----------

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2308+Glass+Panel+Replacement/1763

is this worth a shot? I mean it'll get fixed, but I'm worried about when closing it nothing is between the panel and the monitor

2. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I had this happen when I owned a mid-2010 27" iMac. It probably had nothing to do with you. There's a 2 millimeter air gap between the glass and the screen and a vent at the top of the machine. Over time, it seems particles can sneak there way into that gap. It's a small design flaw that was fixed with the lamination process on the new models which leaves no gap between the glass and screen.

I tried the ifixit thing and trust me...DON'T DO IT. By removing the glass, all you'll do is invite more dust particles in and you'll make it worse. You might just have to live with it.

3. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

Best bet is to just take it into the apple store and have them replace the panel right? Will they do it for free? I dont have warranty on my iMac thats why I'm asking

4. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

If you're out of warranty, not sure they will be able to help you. I remember reading a message thread though about a guy who asked an Apple Genius to remove dust from behind the screen and they took it to the back...said the piece of dust was gone, which it was...and then upon getting home, the guy noticed about 8 new pieces of dust behind the glass. I'd rather live with the 1 piece of dust.

5. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

So what your saying is to just deal with it and live with it? I can't dude lol, again I'm very OCD about stuff like this. Just like I am with cars, if my car has a dent or scratch Ill always think about it. It needs to be fixed. And i know, the person doing it has to be skilled and has done it before. i've taken apart a ipad before and i know how hard it is, you have to make sure other dust doesnt get in when your closing it. Its even harder with iMacs because the screen is bigger.

Apple has taken apart my iMac before tho to change my crashed HDD before and the screen was perfect, no dust was inside it, i doubt they changed the display too, and if i do take it to the apple store ima take it to the same apple store. Idk bro i think its worth a shot, i work near a apple store too

I just tried powering it off putting it to its side and upside down and gently tapping on it, didn't work.

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I completely understand. I have the same type of OCD. If you can't live with it, ask an Apple Store to do it without adding more dust behind there. Maybe they have a method. But...don't do it yourself at your house because I guarantee you you'll just add more dust and debris. You may not notice it day 1...but it'll be there and you will eventually in the right light.

7. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

Of course not bro. I was considering it but then i remember how hard it was to close my old ipad. What did you do about yours? Just live with it?

and how long will it take for apple to fix it? Ill get it back the same day right?

8. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I tried the ifixit suction cup method...ended up just adding a ton more dust back there...and was so disgusted with the whole process that I took it back to the Apple Store and showed them a few dead pixels and they swapped out my iMac for a brand new unopened one. I was 30 days out from purchase so I lucked out.

The second one never had that issue for the 2+ years I owned it.

9. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

They replaced your entire iMac?! Thats really lucky lmao i didn't know apple replaced computers too. Im just going to take it to the apple store, if they try to put a price on it ill mention that its their fault i even have this problem and its a design flaw

10. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

it wouldnt be a major problem but its right in the middle :mad:

11. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

took it to the apple store recently, turns out it wasn't dust, it was a dead pixel :(

At least thats what the apple store employee said. Really weird tho because the day i found the so called dead pixel, i took it to the apple store for another reason. Dust getting stuck behind it is very reasonable because i was transporting it

then again what does the apple employee have to gain by lying lol