Pillow of Choice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by devilot, Dec 24, 2007.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

So lately my neck, shoulders, and upper back have been aching from when I wake up through much of the day. Could be an unrelated issue, but I'm thinking a better pillow wouldn't hurt. :eek:

Currently using one of those contour foam pillows (mines from the Sharper Image and probably 2 years old or so). Looks much like this:

Picture 1.png

I'm looking to see which sorts of pillows y'all like, and maybe, if some of you have some recommendations, that'd be helpful, too.

I mainly sleep on my side (but will sometimes find myself on my back) and really have a hard time justifying a pillow that would cost more than $60 or so.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly if you sleep on that and still have issues I would probably recommend a quick trip to the doctor first. I kind of thought those pillows were supposed to prevent aches like you describe.
    No recommendations from me, I smash my pillows.

3. Baron58 macrumors 6502

36D :D

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The only way I can sleep comfortable on a pillow is when I'm laying flat on my back....if I'm sleeping on my side I'm usually hugging the pillow.

The pillow I'm using now is rather stiff but it does the job.

Bless

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Just a normal, run-of-the-mill pillow here, ma'am.

However, I've always found it's the mattress which matters the most. That has to be of the appropriate firmness for the individual, otherwise you'll feel like a cripple when you get up in the morning.

6. mpw Guest

I'm prone to this too, can't recommend any pillow in particular, but would recommend against anything like this;
    Picture 1.jpeg

which I think is the cause of most of my problems(well the neck ache related ones)

7. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Poo. Doctors are useless. :p

Fine. Pillows that you wouldn't mind lending to your mom, buying for your mom, getting from your mom, easily purchased in a standard B&M retail store, etc. Punk! :D

Poo. I think I'm more a firm mattress kinda gal and the one I have now is super firm. Really not wanting to get a whole new mattress as this one is relatively new and they're not exactly cheap. Bummer. I hope that it really isn't the issue. Plus, I hate that (most) mattresses can't really be tried out before buying. I mean, a quick 5-minute trial in the store won't give you an accurate gauge. And even if they come w/ decent return policies-- what a headache that'd be-- to return a freaking mattress.

Sigh.

Thanks so far for the brainstorming.

8. carlgo macrumors 68000

Down. You can shape and squish them, whatever you want. The problem is that now when I go to a hotel, their pillows seem so high. I don't know how people can stand to have their necks all bent at a 90 deg angle.

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

High and firm. :D

Seriously. I usually get them from Target here. Synthetic fibre, NOT foam, NOT feather/down. the most high-loft, extra-support/extra-firm ones that they have. Usually the more upscale ones have a slightly 'square' edge to them. That is, instead of just two pieces of cloth (top and bottom) sewn together, the top and bottom are joined by a like 1.5" band of cloth that forms a 'side' all the way around. That keeps them from being quite so domed and bunching up in the middle.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO
    At least I didn't have to pay for my "pillows".
    You should be nicer to your wife/girlfriend/both. ;)
    me too Baron...me too!

"Upscale" feature you speak of is called gusetted (sp). And they bunch up...I can prove it! Maybe I'm a bit too rough in bed. :p

11. termina3 macrumors 65816

I use a Tempurpedic and love it. There are a variety of styles, but you mentioned that $60 price range--you'd have to double it to get a Tempur pillow. Beware of ripoffs; they're usually crappy foam.

12. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

That's exactly right. I use one also, and love it. But the mattress really IS the key--sorry. Too firm a mattress is just as bad as one that is too soft.

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Hmm...what to use as a nice, soft pillow...?

Ah, yes. Of course:

[​IMG]

(Really is my last post this time. Happy Christmas all).

14. Baron58 macrumors 6502

That's it - I couldn't remember the word and I figured the description was better anyway...

Pics, or it didn't happen. :D

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I agree that most likely is the mattress. (though recently I did get a pillow b/c of neck pain - and it DID help)

I have a super firm mattress with a pillow top. Sucks b/c you can't flip em over - but is pretty comfy.

You are welcome to try it for a night or two. ;)

I've had a burning question on the Tempurpedic mattrei - how are they for sex? Seriously. I looked at one before my current mattress - and they were ultra shock absorbers - and seemed they would be really difficult to establish a rhythm on. I took that fact into consideration (along with the 2K price tag) and ultimately didn't get it.

Here is Mai Pill Oh. Bought it at Linnens N Things it's a Coolluxury (extra firm) Pillah.

See:

Attached Files:

16. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

FANTASTIC! Seriously.
    :D:D:D:D

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

*insert obligatory sexual reference to breasts, ignoring that fact that tummies are more comfortable in favour of mentioning breasts because it's edgier*

No such thing as "too", my dear.

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I disagree. When you break the bed (literally), the neighbors report you, blood is somehow drawn and you scare the pets - to the point where dogs whine and pee in corners...

I classify that is a bit too rough.

And NO, the pets were not involved in the sex.

And NO, I'm not going to elaborate any further.

Edit: Afterthought - YES the sex was good. Really good. Wow. :eek:

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I once moved the bed a clear 15 feet. I've got one of steel construction specifically because I snapped the headboard off my old oak one :0

20. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Tummies are noisy which makes it difficult to sleep. Plus, the logistics require impossibly odd-shaped beds (think about it - either parallel or perpendicular, it's hard to fit).

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I actually use a stuffed animal (manatee) for my pillow. :eek:

Attached Files:

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Works fine on my standard sized bed.

23. mpw Guest

Cut off the head and limbs:)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been considering one until I found out they're only supposed to last 18-36 months. Not sure I want to pay a grand for one every couple of years.

LOL NO!

I asked you not to tell. :p

25. makku macrumors member