Pilonidal? Not Sure What to do!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I think I may have a Pilonidal and I'm not sure what to do! Should I go to the hospital or what?? God this is so scary....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Perhaps read up here for more information and to see what your course of action may need to be.

3. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I googled "tailbone infection" and that is one of the first sites that I got. Everything seems to fit, but I'm afraid to go to the hospital because it will cost $100 for a hospital visit and if it is nothing my father will get really mad. Maybe I will go??:confused: This is so hard to decide!

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Your dad will get mad about you ensuring your own safety? Ok... I say go. Health trumps anger.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you do have that you need to get it taken care of right away.

Oh and your dad is a douche and never ask for medical advise on the internet.

6. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Not only that, but what if I go there and the pain, blood,etc. stops and they can't find anything wrong. That's happened to me before and it is maddening.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Even more reason to get it checked out if you're having symptoms that appear and disappear. If your father will not pay $100 to have this investigated and you are in pain, I have a real problem with that.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just go to the doctor. They'll laugh at you at the hospital :D!

p.s. they suck my hirsute friend :).

9. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'm going to try to make it through the night and then go to my usual GP.
    @.Andy-yes i'm hairy, and it ***** sucks especially at 16...
    Thanks guys, I know not to ask for advice from the internet, but I was frozen by indecision and needed someone to tell me what to do. :eek:

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Trust me, you need to have it looked into. Possible surgery if not lancing for sure.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is the best course of action unless you're acutely sick. If it's a pilonidal there's every chance that just leaving it alone will work out alright :).

As am I :D. On the plus side you can grow a beard early and buy alcohol without having your ID checked.

Pros and cons....

12. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'm going first thing in the morning for sure. It doesn't seem to hurt so bad now. (OK, I know you guys didn't really want to hear any of this. I'm sorry if I grossed anyone out. :eek: )

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I had one a few years back in college. Trust me, if it's not hurting you, you don't have one. It was the greatest pain I have ever had in my life. The nurse at the hospital said she usually asked people what their pain level was on a scale of one to ten. She didn't ask me and said she was just going to assume and wrote down 15 on the chart. I did the lancing after 2 days of excruciating pain. However, I was on some serious pain meds.

14. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

It turns out that it wasn't as severe as I thought, but it was a cyst. The doctor gave me Keflex (Cefalexin) for the next two weeks and that was pretty much it. Glad that everything seems like it will turn out to be OK after all. Thanks! :apple:

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I had one.

It sucked massively.

The doctor will always try a antibiotic first in case it's just a boil/regular cyst. But if it's a large bump on the end of the tailbone, and it looks sort of like a bubble surrounded by crust, and disgusting ooze comes out of it... it is probably a pilonidal cyst.

Chances are the medicine will not work. It'll only shrink the cyst into a small dimple that doesn't hurt. Don't be fooled, go to the doctor to have it checked. Because if you don't, it will come back, bigger and badder than before.

Lancing will relieve it temporarily, but the only way to really get rid of it, for most people, is surgery. The bigger it is, the bigger chunk of your ass will be carved out. So trust me, get rid of it as soon as you can. If you put it off for money reasons you'll regret it.

I had to have two surgeries to get rid of mine. The first got rid of the main base, but a offshoot remained, and developed over a year. I went back to get rid of that one. I'm pilonidal cyst-free for 3 years now *knocks on wood*.

I'm going to have my ass lasered to get rid of all that damn hair. That will decrease immensely the chances of it coming back.

Sorry for the gritty details, but I thought you should know. It ain't no laughing matter.