Pilot locked out of cockpid DURING flight

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Link

OTTAWA - The pilot of a Canadian airliner who went to the washroom during a flight found himself locked out of the cockpit, forcing the crew to remove the door from its hinges to let him back in, the airline said Wednesday.

The incident occurred aboard a flight from Ottawa to Winnipeg Saturday. The regional jet, capable of carrying 50 people, was operated by Air Canada's Jazz subsidiary.

Jazz spokeswoman Manon Stewart said that with 30 minutes of the flight to go, the pilot went to the washroom, leaving the first officer in charge. But when he tried to get back into the cockpit, the door would not open.

"The door malfunctioned.... This is a very rare occurrence," Stewart said, adding that the crew's decision to remove the door had been in line with company policy.

A report in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper said that for about 10 minutes "passengers described seeing the pilot bang on the door and communicating with the cockpit though an internal telephone but being unable to open the door".

Stewart said the paper's report was "a bit dramatic" and stressed that at no time had the plane or passengers been in danger. She did not say how many people had been on board.

Air Canada is a unit of ACE Aviation Holdings Inc.
At no point was anybody in danger? What are they talking about?!?!?! :confused:

Makes you wonder how much thought they've put into the simple things. First a plane takes off from the wrong airport and secondly they managet to get the door stuck...

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
No danger at all. Everything is perfectly fine. No need to worry. Everything is under control. Everything is happy and great. What? The co-pilot is passed out? OH NOES!!!!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Bobdude161 said:
No danger at all. Everything is perfectly fine. No need to worry. Everything is under control. Everything is happy and great. What? The co-pilot is passed out? OH NOES!!!!
Well, I mean thats hard to say. Just by going up in the plane they're putting themselves in "danger"...even if there's 50 people capable of flying the plane. So there is 1 person flying instead of two now. There's a little more "danger" but it's not like it's going out of control or something...

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
... forcing the crew to remove the door from its hinges to let him back in
Erm, can someone remind me again of why the cockpit door is locked ... ?
Is it that easy to remove it from its hinges?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
iMeowbot said:
They seem to have done it from inside, that seems okay...
Thank goodness for Autopilot! Otherwise... well lets just say the door removal would've been 'interesting.'

iAlan said:
you can't slide a coat-hanger in the window...unless the pilot wanted to take a stroll at 50,000 feet!:D
A regional jet like that wouldn't be flying at such an altitude.
The cruising altitude of a normal commercial jet airplane today is around 12,000 m (35,000 ft).
;)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
EricNau said:
The first officer was still in the cockpit, and it only takes one person to fly a plane. Why would anyone be in danger? :confused:
They have two pilots for a reason....

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
plinden said:
I read this story last night, and that's the first thing I thought of! If it's that easy to do...uh...can't terrorists do it?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
monkeydo_jb said:
Maybe the hinges are only accessible from the inside and the first officer helped get the door off. Eh?
CNN version says vaguely that the "crew" removed the door, which is why I thought the hinges are on the outside. One first officer alone in the cockpit doesn't really constitute a "crew". :D

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
That is really funny.

Although if you can remove the hinges from the outside then it kind of beats the purpose of the door locking.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Killyp said:
Link

At no point was anybody in danger? What are they talking about?!?!?! :confused:

Makes you wonder how much thought they've put into the simple things. First a plane takes off from the wrong airport and secondly they managet to get the door stuck...
It could have been worse. At least there were no snakes......on the plane.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Thomas Veil said:
CNN version says vaguely that the "crew" removed the door, which is why I thought the hinges are on the outside. One first officer alone in the cockpit doesn't really constitute a "crew". :D
Quite right.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Kingsly said:
Thank goodness for Autopilot! Otherwise... well lets just say the door removal would've been 'interesting.'
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Killyp said:
They have two pilots for a reason....
Workload reduction and redundancy, mainly. Not because one person isn't capable of flying the airplane. Not so very long ago, the minimum crew complement on passenger aircraft was three.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
plinden said:
Dudes relax, it was the toilet door they had to break open, not the cockpit door!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
:confused:
Kingsly said:
if he can remove the hinge, why can't he open the door the normal way?