Pilots what do you prefere, garmin pilot or foreflight?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ewo1992, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

I am trying to decide between the two, garmin pilot and foreflight. What one do you use? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

2. rz-jacks macrumors member

Best thing you can do is download them both (both have 30 days free trials) and actually USE it in the cockpit and for flight planning. Use each for few times and see which one you feel better with.

I'm still on the trial for both
    Garmin: I was leaning towards Pilot but now they updated their app and its terrible IMO.... before it used to be super intuitive. What I loved about it is that it was only one main screen, and from there you could access everything with barely a couple of taps.... Oh and the flight following thing and how it changes the widgets as you approach your next closest airport... everything was just there. Now its way to overloaded with crap.. honestly it feels less refined. I really likED that it was simple. Now it just feels clunky... kinda like wingX

Forefligh: on the other hand foreflight updated theirs so that now you can just tap of an airport in the map and all the info you need is there, they refined it even more. I feel like foreflight just has a lot more going for it to be honest. For example, I study at Purdue and the Lafayette airport uses Terre Haute radio as their FSS, and it says so in foreflight, but garmin pilot still says the corresponding FSS station is LEESBURG... which was changed 5 years ago. So I would say foreflight is definitely on top of their game. Add to that the nice sketchpad to write down clearances and the doc viewer and it just adds up to a better package overall.

But as I said, the BEST way is to fly with both SEPARATELY on different days and then you'll just naturally feel at home with one or the other... good thing they have 30 days trial

3. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

I really do like the scratch pad, small feature but really usefull. Most pilots I know use foreflight, but have never tried anything else.

4. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

I was messing with foreflight and I put two fingers on the screen and it measured the distance between them! Way cool!

5. Apfpilot macrumors regular

Foreflight. (full disclosure I work at Avidyne)

6. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

Can you view VFR terminal charts?

7. ewo1992 thread starter macrumors regular

ewo1992

8. JohnOCFII macrumors newbie

What are your key goals for the application?

Have you considered others such as Wing-X?

Garmin has a recent update that many consider strong, and make it a more full-featured competitor to Foreflight and Wing-X.

Wing-X has the ability to integrate ADS-B weather and AHRS synthetic vision with the addition of external hardware. Foreflight has announced support of ADS-B weather via a specific WiFi unit that will be available later this month.

Personally, I prefer Foreflight to Wing-X because I consider the user interface to flow better. I admit some of that is familiarity, but I have used both.

I like the ability to have Foreflight on my iPhone as a backup to my iPad.

Someone mentioned the scratchpad in Foreflight. Remember, folks, it -is- a multitasking computer. I found the scratchpad limited, and find it easier to switch to a separate app for my note taking in flight. I use Notes Plus for my Note taking.

I like the flight planning capability of Foreflight. I like the easy ability to turn my "what-if" rubber band planning into a DUATS briefing and filed flight plan. I like the ability to see the various weather products displayed over an IFR or VFR chart.

I think Foreflight is very concerned with the overall design of their product. It think it will serve them well into the future.