Pimp My MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I am soon getting a MBP and I just wanted to know which accessories you have/use/want? I want to pimp my new setup with a new bag, keyboard cover, skin, and hopefully even a do k and external screen?

What do you guys have? Feel free to show off!

2. Prodo123, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

No keyboard cover, or if you're OCD then get Moshi covers.
    No skin, makes your classy MBP look cheap (think ZAGG). However, good skins make your MBP look boss, like this.
    Incase Neoprene Sleeve, which is a sleeve, not a case. It's like a sock for your MBP.
    No case, cases scratch your MBP.
    Razer Orochi Bluetooth Mouse, because a good Bluetooth mouse is great for portable use and USB ports.
    No Dock, MBP was not meant to have a dock. If you MUST have a dock, I recommend Henge Docks.
    External Monitor of choice, if necessary. Any monitor with 4+ rating on any site works.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Well depends on your usage I guess.

I really like the incase sleeve and bags but they are expensive and the bag only really carries your tech gear,

An external display is great especially if you get the 13"mbp maybe a skin for the back if you're into that kind of stuff. but it all depends on what you use your MBP for.

I have the mini display to VGA and HDMI for my TV and 20" monitor. a fw400 to 800 adapter for my external drive and an incase sleeve.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

the skin link is dead

how do you access the ports on that dock?

you could also check out Laptuk pro it's a nice way to keep the desk clean.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Link fixed.

The dock's ports are positioned so that when you put your MBP into the dock, all of the connectors are inserted simultaneously. The cables are drawn behind the dock through a hole.

6. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Why not a case? I mean I've heard people say crap gets under it and rubs against your MacBook but I'm fairly confident ill keep it clean. I'm just afraid that if it gets a slight drop it will do a fair amount of damage. The sleeve only works if youre not using it. I have a sleeve for my iPad but I it's kind of a waste because your more likely to drop it and damage it when handling it rather than in a backpack in a sleeve.

I want a hedge dock possibly just to be able to use my MBP as a desktop when I don't feel like using it as a laptop I guess but it's not necessary.

I also totally dig those skins and actually asked an etsy artist to make a custom vinyl sticker of my MR profile logo (click on my name to see as I am too new to display on forums) I think it looks pretty cool.

My ultimate dream is to have a backpack that has both a camelback water-blather AND a dedicated laptop pocket. I have no idea if this even exists though. If I did get said bag I'd probably get a waterproof sleeve JIC;)

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Cases never work. It's plastic so it flexes. This causes the case to bend and scratch your device without any dust being trapped. Also, not shock absorbing.
    Sleeves absorb shock to an extent and does not scratch your device

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I've got a clear hardcandy bubble case; with a throwback apple decal, salt life sticker, and stetson law decal.

[​IMG]

I keep it in a black incase sleeve;

[​IMG]

and rock a dark brown coach embossed leather op slim messenger bag;

[​IMG]

I don't have a keyboard cover or external mouse/keyboard, but I do hook it up to my veiwsonic led backlit lcd via a moshi mdp>hdmi adapter and monoprice hdmi cable to watch 1080p bluray mkv movies.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

moshi clearguard keyboard. its not
    OCD get to one, it really does help keep ur keyboard clean and keep sh** out of under the keys

incase neoprene sleeve plus, best sleeve

bunch of other stuff, how bout this iil make an entire youtube video for you! LOL will post link her e when i get it uploaded

10. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

All I bought was a hard case from eBay...I like Spec's, but almost fifty dollars? no way lol...

11. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Wow that hard candy case looks solo tight! I want to get one of those!

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I love mine, IMO every other brand of case looks pretty much the same. I was up in the air between clear and white, because white would look like a golf ball and I love me some golf. But I'm glad I went with the clear because it looks BA. I don't baby my laptop at all, I throw it on the couch/bed, I've dropped it, throw it in my car in my messenger bag and it gets tossed around as I drive...and my MacBook looks great.

That said, I'm not sure I could recommend getting one. Now that the chargers are at a 90* angle, the back tab makes it so you have to hook up the charger to block the Ethernet port. I hit mine with a Dremel, so it works either way now and still clips on and fits like it should. I emailed them about this and it didn't sound like they were going to update this. When I got mine I think it was $50; I'm pretty sure they dropped the price to $20 now.

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I keep it in a Tucano sleeve, it matches the case. I don't have any bling on my MBP.

Attached Files:

14. ahdickter macrumors 6502

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

basically, cases and ugly and not necessary at all and keyboard/palmrest covers aren't necessary at all either. it's not about necessity for some i suppose, but people claiming things like "it protects from scratches" and stuff are meh. i guess the only thing i could agree with being semi useful is a keyboard cover, but i mean....just wash your grimy mitts.

basically either well implemented stickers or just leaving it alone will achieve the most swag. anything else looks stupid imo, especially a case.

16. fingerman macrumors member

OCD on my 2011 15" MBP :rolleyes:

Speck Clear Case, Moshi Palm / Track Pad Guard and Moshi Keyboard cover, small apple sticker (from Shuffle) on the Speck Lid :eek:

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

if i had my druthers, i'd have:

1. a booq bag
    2. a g-form sleeve
    3. a clear case

i have a northface bag+no-brand so-so sleeve, and a clear case. i don't care about scratches, but the case has already saved me from something that would have at least gouged my lid, and possibly done worse, so i'm happy with it.

personally, all of the stickers and crap are cute, i guess, but the macbook styling speaks for itself much better than any of that ever could.

18. lomby macrumors regular

On my Macbook Pro 15" all i have is an incase neoprene sleeve and an  magic mouse.

The case is really good and my mac is very protected. it is a bit expensive but is a very good investment.

The magic mouse is great love it to bits and a meh gaming mouse.

19. stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Well ive got the moshi keyboard cover which is nice and the 12south palmrest:)

20. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

i do not have the moshi keyboard, but i may get one in the future. i did try the cheap ones. yes, i know many people love them, but speaking for myself, it was a miserable experience. the cover didn't fit tightly on the keys, and the keys were difficult to type. I usually type 80+ wpm (not fast, but not pecking at the keyboard either), so i need the keys to be responsive, but i was having trouble even hitting the right keys (ill fitting). very frustrating.

i don't know what this screen protector is. i just put a microfiber cloth in between the keys and screen when i close it. i rarely even have to wipe dust off my screen, and of course, there are no keyboard marks.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

External screen? Dock is cool like the TwelveArc ones they sell at Apple.

No external? Get a Rain Design mStand.mStand

I'd suggest getting a external mouse and keyboard too.

23. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

may try the microfiber... thing know where i can get some none expensive ones???

24. jasonbro macrumors regular

check out the Thule case. That's what i'd get if i needed a case.