Pimp My Resignation Letter

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I have been supplementing my career as a freelance copywriter with a part-time office assistant job. But now I feel that it's time to drop the training wheels and really commit 100% to my writing business. I'm getting more and more work, and shoehorning the part-time job into things is only making me tired and causing me to do less than my best work there. Time to move on.

Please tell me if this resignation letter will suffice, or if I should change some things:

I regret to inform you that I will be resigning my post at _________. My last day will be Friday, September 21, 2007.

I am leaving to devote my full attention to my increasingly demanding writing career, and to allow you to replace me with an office assistant who can give you his or her full focus as _______ continues to grow.

Thank you for the opportunity. I enjoyed working for you, and I wish everyone connected with ______ the very best.

Sincerely,

I welcome any feedback.

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I regret to inform you that I will be resigning my post at _________. My last day will be Friday, September 21, 2007.

I am moving to the internet. I have found out where the tubes go. Do not try to stop me. I must become one with the source.

Thank you for the opportunity. I enjoyed working for you, and I wish everyone connected with ______ the very best.

Sincerely,

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

OP - I think its a nice clean professional letter.
    It does not need to be fancied up.
    You are giving them two weeks notice and it ends nicely.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP great letter, but I would go with this:

Dear ______

After an appropriate period of deliberation, I have come to the decision to tender my resignation from (company name), effective (end date).

Please know that I still maintain a high level of respect for you as a manager and colleague, and I thank you sincerely for the support and assistance you have offered me in each of those roles. I have been proud to work for (company name) over the past (years worked); it has been a journey that has provided me with an unparalleled foundation to move forward to new and exciting opportunities.

As such, I have decided to become a professional pirate. It has always been a dream of mine to live the life of a swashbuckling corsair, beholden to none and master of all I survey. Once my crew of unabashed rogues is assembled, we shall take to the capacious expanse of the high seas to pursue fortune, fame, and hair-raising adventure.

Our path may not be filled with the porcine comforts and technological marvels that (company name) provides, but we shall nonetheless move forward to carve a name for ourselves in the annals of bold insurgency and death-defying derring-do. Once I have a keen blade at my hip and the Jolly Roger is flapping high above me, I believe I will find my true calling.

Please note that I am currently accepting applications for First Officer, if you are at all interested in applying. I will provide a full medical and dental plan, which will offer immediate coverage of all maladies other than scurvy and the occasional bout of rickets.

Sincerely,

5. exigentsky macrumors regular

Yeah, I would definitely go with Jessica's letter. It would really showcase your writing abilities. :p

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

you seem to have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Polite and to the point.

7. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that settles it. I'm becoming a pirate.

8. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Is that first mate position still open?

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Get rid of that sentence. Just say something generic. Resignation letters are pretty much a formal way to say I'm leaving. You don't need to give an explanation, chances are you've told them already.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is simply fantastic - pure gold. I love it! I think I will cut and paste this for future reference. :cool:

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Love the pirate version. You know you want to.

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

If you are serious about becoming a full time priate, I will warn you it is not easy. I started a pirate business a few years back but I only work part time since it hasn't actually made much money as of yet. I still have to maintain a day job to pay for all the expenses of pirating. The loan on the ship is seriously cutting into my profit margin and the expenses of paying a crew add up quickly. We actually just cut back to a skeleton crew in order to reduce our overhead. Pirate clothes are also a problem. You either have to purchase all your clothing through a costuming or speciality store, or go to the plus size women's section at walmart (which surprisingly has a lot of good clothing that resembles what other pirates wear). Costuming stores are expensive and shopping in the plus size women's section when you are a normal sized man is a little embarrassing. My day job doesn't allow facial hair, so the "Captain _______beard" moniker is not really applicable. The office also gets a little upset at dreadlocks and dirty pirate clothing so I have to own two full sets of clothes, one clean set for the office and another for pirating.

I would be happy to share more pirating experience if you are interested but please beware that it is a tough career choice and most of us have to maintain day jobs to pay off the extra bills. However, for those of us willing to do more than swing the lead it can be a rewarding profession.

Good luck and may the wind be at your back, unless we meet on the open waters.

13. shecky Guest

shecky

dont forghet to atock up on all of your pirate gear at 826 Valencia.

14. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Ah that was brilliant, top notch stuff :D Thanks for giving me and my other half a giggle....