Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm putting some serious work into my car (suspension, cooling) and I thought I might treat it to something fun too.

Unlike actual pimp my ride, I'm a subscriber to the "classy" school of design.

Here's what my baby looks like now:
Its got 18" polished BBS Style 42 Hart reps.

3052908515_6acc6f1cff_o.jpg

3082014062_d6dda7857b_o.jpg

I am thinking of going M5 knockoff... shadowline trim, M5 rims, maybe a back bumper (already got the m5 front bumper); but on the other hand that's super cheesy.

Inspiration for m5:
2502564801_65b2071ac9.jpg

Or go for the super clean (2003+ sport) look:
Shadowline, M-parallels (probably the Hartmann reps)
2401558931_4035f372da.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Or the M6 look:
IMG_2376.jpg

Or anything else! Suggestions happily taken. I like my chrome trim but it doesn't look as clean as the shadowline if I'm not going to be running chrome or polished rims.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Supercharger FTW. Nice ride, btw. I've got a 2007 Si Coupe. I like it, but I'm seriously thinking of going 99-03 or so M5.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Angel Eyes. Always put Angle Eyes on a Bimmer.

Tint the windows a bit. I'm not sure what the law is in your area, but you can darken them at least a bit all the way around (non-windshield).

Spoiler. One of those stylish, minimal, Euro-looking jobs.

Ground fx. Makes the car look lower without actually being so.

I'd stick with the 'clean' sport look. I like it better when it looks like the beast is hidden a tad and waiting to be unleashed.

-

PS You have my dream ride. I can't tell you how many pics almost just like yours I've saved over the years...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Angel Eyes. Always put Angle Eyes on a Bimmer.

Tint the windows a bit. I'm not sure what the law is in your area, but you can darken them at least a bit all the way around (non-windshield).

Spoiler. One of those stylish, minimal, Euro-looking jobs.

Ground fx. Makes the car look lower without actually being so.

I'd stick with the 'clean' sport look. I like it better when it looks like the beast is hidden a tad and waiting to be unleashed.

-

PS You have my dream ride. I can't tell you how many pics almost just like yours I've saved over the years...

Law is fairly strict but I will definitely do a slight tint - 20% maybe? 5% would get me pulled over EVERY day because I don't have front plates.

I already have Angel eyes - depo angel eyes in the front (6000k) and hellas in the rear.

It will be lowered with the new suspension - bilstein hd and h&r stiff springs in theory. I almost ended up with the bilstein coilovers but I think I want closer to stock ride.

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
I would advise against going for the knockoff look. Taking a piece of the look is OK but not going for the entire look. Personal preference though...

Definitely tint and some nice ground effects.

Performance mods at all or all-show?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I would advise against going for the knockoff look. Taking a piece of the look is OK but not going for the entire look. Personal preference though...

Definitely tint and some nice ground effects.

Performance mods at all or all-show?

Knockoff was sort of a joke. All I'd do is the rims, maybe the back bumper and maybe the shadowline trim. I'm not going to pull the badge off or stick an "M" on it :D

Performance is K&n air filter, going to pick up a Conforti Cold Air intake, bilstein suspension... if shark ever comes out with an injector for the V8 e39's, I'd pick one up. I'm already pushing 300 horses.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I'm not going to pull the badge off or stick an "M" on it :D

Thank god. There used to be a 325i at my work sometimes. Someone had stuck an M badge on it so it read: M325i. :eek:

I've never been a fan of the M6 rims... too much exposure for my tastes. I like the ones you've got on there now, but those are 18s? They look small on the car for some reason... I've never noticed that effect on a 5er before. *shrug*

The M6 wheels fit the car better size-wise... they're 19s?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
As a car enthusiast, I'd say the most important thing is to keep it perfectly clean, all the time. If you'd like suggestions on what to clean it with, let me know and I'll tell ya.

Otherwise, I love the 2003+ clean sport look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.