Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I love the simplicity too, but now it's time to add the finishing touch.

I recommend painting the walls in a beige colour to add warmth to the room... and depending on the type of beige you pick, it will go nicely with your wooden furniture.

But... if you can't get your hands on a paintbrush, then I recommend buying a motif or decorative stickers to put on your wall. They're simple yet effective. Ikea have a few different styles of decorative stickers; you may like this one, or maybe even this one if you're into floral prints.

Then again, you could buy or frame some photos, but don't clutter up your walls too much! Oh, and depending on how heavy your stereo is, you could have it on a wall shelf to free up some bookshelf space.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
As much as I love hard floors, I like bamboo/hardwood floors with loungemats/nice carpets on them. Not crappy, synthetic ones. Get a nice bamboo loungemat and it'll make everything feel quite a bit more cosy.

Get a lamp, for God's sake.

And a keyboard and mouse, if your MacBook is your only computer now.

Plants.

More things on the wall.

A girlfriend would also make things look a bit "nicer", although that bed doesn't look terribly big. :p

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
K, so I definately need some plants :)..

Which size are we looking at? Just some little plants to place on a shelf, or a pretty big one to place on the ground?

jcrazyjj

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Macomb, MI
Me too - Because of this thread I am going to remove every electronic item from my room - then put it back again with cable tie galore. :)

i want through like 50 cable ties doing my setup and i can still see alot of cables cause my desk sucks. i dont have any place to have cables i have to zip tie em to the legs and cross bars. it cleaned it up alot but still not to my standards.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
1. Get a new non white chair
2. New modern desk, maybe from ikea
3. Change the floor, if you cant do that get a nice thin carpet
4. Put some non white curtains on
5. Get a floor lamp for the corner
6. Put a nice colorful non white border picture up.

jcrazyjj

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Macomb, MI
1. Get a new non white chair
2. New modern desk, maybe from ikea
3. Change the floor, if you cant do that get a nice thin carpet
4. Put some non white curtains on
5. Get a floor lamp for the corner
6. Put a nice colorful non white border picture up.

so essentially you want him to buy a new house.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Change out the desk for a white one or get a very natural wood colored desk:

Light like this one:
yhst-28355172338643_1864_128151720.jpg

For a plant: The bonsai plant!

alexlovesmacs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
+1 for the bonsai:p

If you want to save some cash I suggest painting your desk black it would look great. the buy lamp and a nice rug.

JacobC1983

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
I can't believe nobody in this thread told this kid to get a TV.. a wall mount TV is an awesome way to spice up a bedroom as well as spending money on something you actually want.. instead of a stupid plant or some chinsy furniture you are going to end up throwing away anyway.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I can't believe nobody in this thread told this kid to get a TV.. a wall mount TV is an awesome way to spice up a bedroom as well as spending money on something you actually want.. instead of a stupid plant or some chinsy furniture you are going to end up throwing away anyway.

A tv for the room? thats overrated.. i watch my tv on my mac with a good screen size, that is all you need.
he does have a nice external display thats all he need i think.

JacobC1983

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
A tv for the room? thats overrated.. i watch my tv on my mac with a good screen size, that is all you need.
he does have a nice external display thats all he need i think.

whatever you say.. I will take my 42 inch LCD in my room laying in my bed watching movies over my two 30 inch computer monitors any day, but to each his own I guess. Also, when I think of pimping out my room, I think of best buy, ultimate electronics and audio dimensions, not queer eye for the straight guy

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
whatever.. best buy is for electronics not furniture.. have fun wasting your money paying full msrp and tax at best buy..
i have a living room with a sony lcd i dont need one in my room too..

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
whatever.. best buy is for electronics not furniture.. have fun wasting your money paying full msrp and tax at best buy..
i have a living room with a sony lcd i dont need one in my room too..
=\ I like Best Buy sometimes. For things like televisions, they're awesome. Plus, I went to buy a refrigerator there yesterday, they knocked off $100 and gave me free delivery and haul away of my old one.

Sometimes they're quite nice. For small things like RAM and stuff, they're horrible, but televisions and appliances are good there.

To the OP: I would look into maybe a fern or something. Something easy like a peace lily, or aspidistra, because they're a little different from the bonsai and bamboo, which are really nice, but always in rooms, including mine. Peace lilies and aspidistras are very tolerant of indoor lighting situations, and need little maintenance.

I like the idea of a carpet or rug of some sorts. Something to make the room seem a little more fun.

Am I the only one who maybe thinks red curtains? Something to bring that one red wall over to the other side of the room? I don't know, perhaps I'm being silly because I'm really not good with these things actually.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
You need to get more modern looking furniture to fit the paint scheme. And since the paint is a little subdued, you need big, colourful artworks or posters to liven it up a little bit. Add halogen lighting to showcase the pieces. And use table and floor lamps instead of the ceiling lamp.

I also suggest moving your desk next to the window, and have your back face the wall. This will give your work area more natural light, and make you not face the wall when working. Ideally, you should half-face the door. So if people come in, they see your face, not your back.

The bed will then have to be relocated accordingly. It's a weird layout, I know, but I've used this for many many rooms and people have always thought my room looked cozy and welcoming. Mainly because when they come to see me, they see me. And the side effect usually is that my bed is across my desk. And people can sit on my bed as I talk to them from behind the desk.

Here's an example, my room two years ago:

2073840249_ce4ec88f12.jpg

2073839843_937d4248a2.jpg

I know it looks very bland, but I never got around to painting the room or decorating it. Too busy with work. But in General, this is the layout I was talking about.

Here's a better one. The door to the right is the entrance to my room. The bed is behind me (taking the picture).

3464152543_6489826b12_b.jpg

Sorry for the mess, that's what engineering school does to people. I can quickly access my chair and desk from the door, and I also have easy access to my bed. When people come in, they can sit on my bed and still talk to me while I work - instead of having to turn around.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I got it from a visiting poster sale on campus, called Imaginus. But a quick glance at the corner of the poster revealed 'GUSTOIMAGES' and Google found me THIS.

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Already changed some things, also planning on attaching the stereo subwoofers against the wall with these things:

159821.jpg

To fill up the blank space on the other wall i'm thinking about adding some stencils myself since i'm just a student and those ikea murals are quite pricy.

I"m thinking about something in this style:

504x_3763530792_eea99ca3a9.jpg

Or maybe I could do something with the "think different" posters.. I don't know why but I really really like the slogan. It just inspires me. The original posters look a bit dull so maybe I could make a stencil of them.. don't know yet :p.

Since it's a pretty big wall I'm gonna need something which is pretty wide. Or I could just hang several paintings next to each other like in the example above.

I'm far from a second picasso so I'm a bit scared of messing up my wall :/

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Don't get white furniture. That is the most boring ever, and will not add anything to the room. Also, beige must be the most boring color to paint a room... your paint is fine. If you can replace the furniture, dark brown or furniture would go best in that room with those paint colors, etc. That would really help. The only problem would be the closet. If you don't like dark brown furniture, go with medium/cherry.

Then, some things other people mentioned, like:
plants
area rug
curtains with color
warm lighting
artwork

I'm finally able to revamp my room, too, with replacing the furniture, even, but I'm not allowed to paint, so that sucks.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
I would complete the red by expanding it throughout the room. Get darker furniture and a queen bed. I would get either red, white, or very dark curtains. But that's just me.

The problem with boldly-colored walls is that you often can't use your boldly-colored accessories. By extending the red throughout the room, you couldn't use red accents on the walls. And imo, red accents on the gray would turn out much better than going with full-out red walls.

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Anybody else who has an idea how I could be creative in some way with the think different posters?

I"m thinking about a stencil.. or something which ressembles the picture I posted a few posts above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.